Railway Empire - Railroad Tycoon from Kalypso

That is a big change. It can get really congested managing all the necessary tracks now and that should help.

Sounds like this should be a pretty good game by the time I finally get around to it. As much as it should be right up my alley, just too many games and not enough time so far this year.

As am I. I am a huge fan of the Railroad Tycoon series and this is on my hit list but I am waiting until the complete edition at a decent discount.

I started playing this and I have run into a design problem. As the game progresses, and I get more and more trains and tracks, my trains start getting stuck. They begin queuing and waiting for tracks to clear. They can be stuck for a very long time, if not indefinitely.

Are there any strategies / guides on how to build complex train networks to avoid this problem? I am not even sure why things get snarled up.

I think it gets like that when too many trains are competing for the same section of track. It can also happen if you don’t have your switches set up right, but if it is only happening when you have a lot of trains I’m guessing it’s the first reason.

This is a pretty simple video on how to deal with multiple trains between 2 stations.

I am having a bunch of trains going to different destinations using the same tracks a lot of the time and that is where things are getting hosed up. Also is there a way to disable the annoying comments from the AI players?

Tempted to pick this up on the XBO when it goes on sale ($60 a bit more than I’m willing to spring for at the moment). In free play do you get access to the whole map or is it divided up like the campaign? Is it limited to 20 years as I read the campaign was?

The 1.3 patch added everything you just inquired about! :D

• New Map: "America"
    In Free Game and Sandbox Game modes, players are now able to select a map covering the USA, spanning from the West Coast to the East Coast.
  • New 100-year era: "1830-1930"
    Players are now able to grow their Railway Empire from 1830 to 1930. In one continuous game. This will give the player the possibility to have and see all locomotives in one play.
    To balance this new feature and enable a complete 100-year tech tree, we have re-balanced the science tree.
    We have also added a growing goods system over time feature.
    We have also re-balanced the passage of time to fit the new timescale.

Here is what it looks like on PC:

Wow, awesome! And a random map generator too? Ugh, I may have just spent $60 instead of waiting for a sale. Do people generally enjoy this? I looked at Mashinky as well but it seems a bit more complicated (and PC-only).

Edit: And Mexico! And Great Lakes / southern Canada! And Andes to come?! Ugh, so hard to resist. Anyone play on XBO? Decent port and controls are usable? I have an X so it’ll be 4K/HDR which is nice.

Edit #2: Are trains still limited to eight cars? That seems a bit of a bummer if so.

Is there a way to force a train to take a route? I need to get passengers from toledo to omaha. I even built a private rail line and each time I spawn a train, it refuses to take that track and then picks some route which leads to an impossible position where the train can’t actually make it to the destination.

Also this NPC commentary is killing me. I wish I could shut it off.

You can assign a train to a specific track. I think it’s on the train window somewhere but I don’t recall for sure.

Hmm, I am not seeing how to do that. Maybe I am missing something obvious.

Is there any guide on buying businesses? I bought a few, but I can’t see how profitable they are. The AIs seem to buy them all the time.

Any workaround for this bug? I am in the civil war scenario and I need to deliver weapons to memphis.

However, when i try and build a train station in memphis, it says the city council refuses to let me build a train station in memphis because I have not yet connected my home town to memphis.

I’m assuming this is correct - copied it from a Steam forum message…

The player can override the shortest track default by manually selecting which platform to use at a particular station. (Select that train, click the route management/map button above the panel on the right, hover over the particular station to manage on the left then click on the note pad that shows up. Manage that station stop details in the dialog that pops up.)

Adekyn has some good videos up (favour the newer ones, as the patches have changed things considerably). Generally, you need lots of switches to keep your track blocks relatively short and allow more trains to run, as a train will not enter a block until it is clear.

Turn the opponent voice volume down or off in the options. That’s what I did.

The game is on sale on Humble Bundle for $30.

I have played it some on XBO. I got stuck on the track mechanics as things scaled up. Once or twice I wished for a mouse but overall the game was very playable with the controller. Game looks great in 4K!

Also on Steam for the same price.