Railway Empire - Railroad Tycoon from Kalypso

I feel like I need to be in the right mood to play this game, much more than other games. Like I want to be in a “want to organize shit out of stuff” type of mood.

I pretty much always build the largest stations from the start. Especially in the campaign, rapid expansion is your best strategy, so having dedicated express routes between your stations (as well as freight) is essential. The only use for smaller stations is at resource locations or when you’re doing a really long passenger route just to get to a distant location.

Yeah, building the smaller stations in cities and then upgrading later does seem like a rookie mistake to me now.

I’m starting to wonder if I want to build two double-platform stations in cities at the start (one freight, one passenger) so I can upgrade to 8 available platforms later without as much worry about fitting it on, re-routing tracks, etc.

Me too.

I just wish doing crossovers and merges was easier.

It’s not particularly tricky these days (it was at release). Have you checked out Adekyn’s videos?

Yes, I’m good with normal ones, I meant when you’re running 2 large stations out of a city and need to go over and around 8 tracks. There’s just not enough room to do it cleanly most of the time if you’re running a central hub kinda place. As horrible as Transport Fever’s interface is, I can do it easier in that game than this one.

Oh god, no, you shouldn’t be going over and around 8 tracks. Half the game is planning your rail networks so you don’t have to cross lines unless there’s no alternative.

I’ve managed to get some more playtime into this. I really enjoy it, so it will earn a spot on my quarterlies list now that I feel I have seen enough of it to make a proper judgement.

Quarterlies list?

The Qt3 game of the year voting thread.

high five

Some nice stuff there.

signaling control for almost all the things!

Wait, I don’t see signaling control for single-track stations… ;-)

I feel like the 2-track signal control station is a sweet spot. It’s barely more expensive than a regular 2-track station and it’s footprint is the same as a regular 2-track station with the crossed-tracks added. A 4-track signal-switching station has 3x as many switches. This adds to footprint and also reduces efficiency since trains traversing those tracks can block a lot of incoming trains. Two double-track signal stations will cost less and still often fit in, and also allow a hard split between passenger and freight networks.

Is there any reason other than aesthetics/space to use a terminal rather than a large station? They seem to cost the same and I cant find any reference to different behaviour (other than not being able to pass through of course).

I think that’s it. Avoiding the switches on the other side can save a lot of space if you don’t need them.

Though it sounds like the devs will be upscaling the space required for the 2-track switching station so it can be upgraded to a 4-track station. Currently you have to delete the existing station to upgrade, which is terrible micro. Not sure why a smaller station couldn’t just check to see if there is enough room, as seems to happen in the non-beta version.

This is down to “consider buying” range on GOG this week ($18). Sorry I haven’t kept up on the whole thread. Is there a consensus on the game?

I love tycoon and building games, and loved Sid’s original RRT. I never totally got a grip on the economics meta-game, especially in RRT2, and mostly prefer these games without very challenging opponents gobbling up the map. I’m not even sure how much of this stuff applies to RWE…

What kind of train game is it, and what does it do well? You guys think it’s worth $18 when I have an enormous backlog already?