Railway Empire - Railroad Tycoon from Kalypso

Do you have gamepass?

Regardless, it will likely be much cheaper when the new one comes out.

Based on the price mentioned, it’s the new one being referred to.

I haven’t kept up with this thread. So Railway Empire is really like Railroad Tycoon, like the thread title says?

I’m surprised that it’s coming to Game Pass on console too. Hopefully the controller interface is a good one. I had a LOT of fun with Railroad Tycoon 1 and 2 back in the day, I’d love to recapture that.

I played it a while ago so my memory is hazy. I liked it well enough and I think it at least shares some genes with Railroad Tycoon. The biggest issue to me was the scale of the tracks and stations seemed too big compared to the map, which made things kinda congested at times. Definitely worth a try on Gamepass.

I’m going to dissent somewhat. The game itself is fine, but is much more interested in managing track switching and one way traffic flow management on a map where geographic constraints are ramped up to 11. The delivery and economic systems are severely undervalued in comparison, and it’s really closer to a puzzle game where track layout is the key factor.

Not that it was a bad game, I did enjoy my time with it, but I would say it doesn’t really scratch the same itch in the same way. If you are looking for RRT, you will be disappointed I think.

These were my issues with it too and why I had a much better time with Railroad Corporation which came out around the same time and is also getting a sequel. That game felt much more interested in the macro build up of your railroads and company then with the fiddly track management.

Looks like it’s currently on sale!

Honestly me too! A sequel is coming out for that one as well.

I mean, it’s a track laying economic game. But it’s more puzzly than RT, and, at least last time I played it, really rewarded unreasonably fast expansion over planning.

I thought Railroad Corporation was more like Railroad Tycoon than Railway Empire.

No I do not.

Everyone apparently secretly preferred Railroad Corporation this whole time while Railway Empire got all the attention!

Oh I missed this one, and it looks like exactly my thing.

Railway Empire was free on Epic at one point; that’s why I’ve played it and not the other.

Haha, I seemed to like Railway Empire more. I remember sitting down with Railroad Corporation and getting immediately lost. I have to go back to it. I liked the track management of Railway Empire, but the management of routes and platforms and general traffic left a lot to be desired.

It did improve a lot post-launch, though I don’t know what it’s like now as I haven’t played in a long time. It does give me hope that 2 will launch with that aspect much improved.

I’d like it if the factorio team would take the rail parts of that game and make a RT successor.

The thing I hated about railway empire was trains being limited to 8 cars. That made it feel like a kids train kid instead of a simulator.

I’m not aware of any of these railroad games having realistic train lengths. They all have the trains very large on the map to give you that model train feeling which necessitates limiting the number of cars significantly.

Eight cars is pretty normal for UK trains. In fact, the platform length at some stations means eight is the maximum length on my train line