Railway Empire - Railroad Tycoon from Kalypso

Thanks for Worthabuy’s YouTube link, mok.

I am obviously an old fogey, because while there was nothing bad with Worthabuy review, I just find the whole concept of spending 12 minutes listening to a review baffling, when I could read the whole thing in 5 minutes.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, how much do you think a 12-minute YouTube video is worth?

About 5 minutes of time. I’m not opposed to gaming videos. I’ve found watching Scott Manley on Kerbal space program to be invaluable to learn how to do something, and on occasion watching a video of a game to see if I’m interested has been helpful.

But for me personally, I just didn’t find the video in his review (or even Scott Manley reviews of games) to be helpful. But as said I’m an old guy, and I’d happily read a 200 page manual for Railway Empire. In fact, I wish it came with one.

Pro tip, remember to uninstall the BETA and install the Main Game.

Steam says I have 11 friends who played the BETA but only 1 has played the Main Game . :D

Oh cool, they added thunderstorms to the game.

That’s why this is a good review as opposed to many…give it 5 minutes and he actually talks about a lot of stuff. Probably the best condensed review (of this game) I have seen and it was timely. He’s not nearly as self important as others YT’s. Most try to make it about them much more.

Holy shit is the writing and voice work in this awful. Like really bad, worse maybe than anything in Grand Ages Medieval. I mean, you can sort of tell they’re trying SUPER HARD to hit professional levels of polish with that stuff, but didn’t hire professionals to do the work, and so you get a phrase like “tremendously energy sapping” at the end of a sentence, and whatever the fuck Thomas Durant’s voice is supposed to be doing.

Please let the game be better than that first impression…

I wish they would have hired Colm Meaney.

You can turn off the voices in the audio settings. Can’t do much about the writing though. :)

Heh. I guess I’m just being overly harsh because that was all very jarring in contrast to the rest of the game so far, which has been very solid.

I’m the same way. I want to read my reviews and help guides not watch them.

Thanks!

Yes, the voice acting is bad and the writing isn’t much better.

I suspect the writing is translated from German, as the devs are German. If you use Google Translate for your work (don’t know if they did but it feels like it) then you will get weird sentences.

As someone who was confused on how to do things (signals) in the beta, I guess the new tutorial is sort of better? Not much though. I started poking around in the interface but I am finding it difficult to find the information I need to figure out what is going on and how the game works. It feels like the game wants you to keep it simple and just run trains through cities and don’t think too much about.

I saw there is a manual, great! Except it’s a console type of manual, 5 pages of useless information. I guess I need to look at the in game help system to see if that is useful. Why couldn’t they put that in the manual?

I wish I had read that a little earlier, before I installed Railway Empire. I hope the consequences of not uninstalling the BETA version are not too dire.

If I recall correctly, the beta was limited to the first 2 missions. :p

Are you farther than that?

No, I am not.

Edit: To make a long story short, I completed the second chapter of the campaign in the full game by restarting a savegame from the beta and completing it. Then I started the third chapter of the campaign and saved the game at its beginning before exiting the game. So technically I went just past the second mission.

But there’s some other wonkiness. So should I uninstall both the beta and the full game and then reinstall Railway Empire?

I’m still on campaign 3. Restarted three times, I got myself in situation where I couldn’t get a bridge out of Chicago. The good news after 30+ hours I finally have signals down.

The studio’s co-owner was the lead designer on a couple of earlier Patrician and Port Royal games at Ascaron. The new studio was founded in the same city when Ascaron went belly up and Kalypso took over their brands except for Sacred. Most or all of the new team moved over from Ascaron.