Rainbow Six Siege

I never got into the early RS games (more of a SWAT fan back then) but I did enjoy the Vegas games.

Since there are no SWAT sequels in development, a new RS game would be the next best thing, so I’m looking forward to it.

I remember the game, though it never clicked with me (the original), but the novel/setting/universe has sort of gone the way of all flesh (and Clancy). It just doesn’t seem interesting or relevant, though the quality of the setting isn’t that crucial I guess if the game is good.

I think the bigger issue with Siege right now is their PR machine has not ramped up yet. I haven’t heard anything other than hearing talk about it being played at one point by some podcaster.

I have loved all the Rainbow Six games. We used to have great LAN parties with R6 / Rogue Spear. I also quite enjoyed the XBox / 360 versions as well (either online / split-screen terrorist hunts).

Side by side with the Ghost Recon series, R6 has some of my favourite cooperative gaming moments of the last couple of decades.

I’m excited to see what Siege brings to the table, but I’m a little worried that it sounds like BF: Hardline :(

One of the bullet points on Rainbow Six Siege was that it would have single player.

Ubisoft revealed today that RS:S will allow you to play a skirmish game against bots - BUT - you will be one man vs the enemy AI squad.

When you’re playing through single-player there are no supporting characters. But you can play as a lone wolf, as well as play the game’s whole story campaign. That said, it is more difficult.

So it really doesn’t have single player.

That’s a stretch, TF.

It doesn’t have AI mates like past Rainbow Six or Ghost Recons yeah, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a single player campaign. Lots of FPS are played from start to finish without AI teammates. Even in Arma campaign there are missions played alone and they are fun.
Hell, in RS: Vegas lots of times I left the AI more or less static and I did 95% of the work.

It’s something to complain because it clearly indicates less effort put in there for the single player, but it doesn’t mean it ceased to exist.

The part I don’t like is the last sentence.

That said, it is more difficult.

A big company as Ubisoft doing an AAA game can’t be bothered to put a dynamic difficulty balance depending of the number of players? Does that mean that playing 2-coop is going to be harder than playing 4-coop? And even more playing alone? Or that if the game is balanced for 2 people playing with 4 is going to make it too easy?

Taking the MP-focused game and just enabling people to play it alone in SP against enemy bots is not at all what I consider a single player game. That’s not even a fair skirmish mode. That’s just some unbalanced, lazy, bullshit check-the-box effort. Either commit some resources to SP, or stop promoting it as a legit mode.

I’m not asking for a full SP campaign, but at least put in some AI bots on my side. The whole point of the game is team vs team assault.

For me the lazy thing would be the opposite: take a multiplayer game, put some AI bots to skirmish with and against, and say “hey our game has single player!”. That’s not what I call single player, that’s what I call MP with bots in the player slots.

A single player campaign, played alone or with AI, is proper SP.

Of course, this all depends if the campaign is proper and good, or they are calling “campaign” a tenuously linked set of multiplayer levels to be done alone.

fake edit: Now they are saying this

Just to let you know there is a single player experience which is done through Missions. These pre-set scenarios expose the player to the content and mechanics of the Siege and are specifically designed to be played solo as a Lone Wolf, but can also be played cooperatively with up to four friends.

which doesn’t sounds like a true campaign. So I concede it to you!

Yeah, it’s pretty much nothing. This is only slightly better than the MP games on Steam that allow you to start a server by yourself and run around a totally empty map, then post the “Single Player” icon on their page.

the single player tag on steam just means you can fire it up single player, doesn’t imply content. odd thing to nitpick

Wow so realistic! much military accuracy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaIrrtLUYwg

(dat healing shot lol)

How the game will likely play -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgfMdUSM6g

Wait, so we have to play as Frenchmen in the new Rainbow Six game?

-Tom

Terrorists won.

it looks like this will be a good fps, different stuff from cod or battlefield series is nice.

Delayed to December.

Whether it’s been through playtests in our studios, the closed alpha, or recent hands-on demos at events like E3 or Gamescom, player feedback has been essential to the development of Rainbow Six Siege. Getting the game in people’s hands and listening to what they have to say helps us understand how we can improve their experience, and we’d like to thank everyone who’s taken part in the process so far.

With that in mind, we’ve decided to push the release date of Rainbow Six Siege to December 1, 2015 for all regions. This wasn’t an easy decision, but based on the feedback we’ve received, and based on our own internal tests, we felt there are adjustments and improvements we can make, including improving the co-op experience across all game modes, weapon and gadget balancing, as well as menu and interface navigation. We’re taking a little more time to make these changes, and we think it’s the right call.

December, huh? I’m willing to bet this later gets pushed into 2016 (1st or 2nd quarter) unless things are Division/Watchdogs bad and then it will slip further.

-Todd

I think you mean the terrohists.

Yeah this really seems like Summer 2016 fodder…

Big beta starts today; Amazon is “selling” beta access codes (for free) at:

— Alan

Have anyone received access to the beta? Not me. :(