Rainbow Six Siege

Reminder: If you purchased the Tom Clancy Humble Bundle several weeks back you have a Siege beta key waiting for you!

-Todd

Not yet. I know some people already got in (on Xbox One) so just waiting…

— Alan

Been playing all week. Shame it’s being buried at the end of three shooters. Never understood why the pubs don’t spread them out so they all make more money.

Halo, CoD, Star Wars: BF and R6:Siege all in a month and half, ugh. Heck the first three are in a three and a half week period.

Haven’t been able to get in a match. The client just seems to search endlessly for a full roster of players. Sometimes I see all slots populated but one and it keeps searching, while the existing matched players slowly drop out of the queue.

-Todd

Still haven’t gotten a key yet… :/

— Alan

I got access last night at 8 PM and got a few matches in.

This game is tense. It’s a lot of quietly going around corners or waiting in ambush, and it doesn’t take long for nearly everyone to be dead once the shooting starts. Really neat and I’m pumped to get home and play it some more.

Well, nowI received my code. When was the end date of the beta?

They extended it to Oct 1st since some players such as myself haven’t been able to get in a match.

-Todd

…still haven’t gotten a code.

— Alan

I’m not sure why this information is being cycled through news sites, because I thought we already knew this.

Rainbow Six: Siege won’t have “a story mode per se,” an Ubisoft developer said at an EGX 2015 panel, meaning this franchise joins the trend of heavy hitting shooters eschewing a singleplayer campaign.

Scott Mitchell, the game’s art director, said that players will have a training session “where you get to experience different operators and their devices,” and that players may face off against enemy AI fighters "in co-op through all the maps.

“You can customize matches, so that’s what we’re offering on the single-player side of things,” he said.

Sounds like a fine thing. If it comes close to Swat 4 co-op I’ll be thrilled.

Good. I call it the Unreal Tournament approach. Make the single player just like the multiplayer instead of its own separate game.

Unfortunately it also has the potential to turn into the Quake 3 approach if the bots suck.

The beta includes Terrorist Hunt, which is a coop mode where there are 25-30 enemy AI terrorists on the map and you and your team have to kill them all. There are dudes that wander around, dudes that set up ambushes, and (for some reason) dudes wearing hazmat suits that will run at you and suicide themselves with bombs strapped to their chests. The latter are incredibly annoying and insta-kill anyone who gets too close - they also have a lot of health and take many shots before going down.

I also think it is interesting that both teams are “operators” instead of the defenders being terrorists (like in their original E3 trailer). This is apparently in line with previous R6 PvP games (I never played the MP for them) and Tom Clancy’s wishes for the franchise, but it’s still a bit strange to be playing FBI or SAS while defending a bomb or control point that looks like some sort of chemical warfare thing.

But yeah still playing a lot of this and still really liking it. Just really slow and deadly and tactical - it’s nice to play a modern shooter that isn’t so GOGOGO like the BF or CoD series. There are definitely issues with matchmaking (it is an Ubisoft game, after all) but hopefully all that’s solved by release.

Damn. Product Unavailable now. I guess I missed the window.

there are still codes being given out at nVidia and maybe IGN. Here’s an extra I had for PC (first come etc):

E7HW1B83BFTF

I was able to get into several matches of Terrorist Hunt last night, but still cannot get into the main MP modes. TH is a lot of fun as long as you go with a higher difficulty. On the normal difficulty, the terrorists just kind of stand there waiting to get shot and have very slow reaction times.

I was also just getting used to the controls and accidentally killed one of my teamates with a frag grenade before we even breached the house! Making me really popular. I thought the number keys would select the grenade as it does pistol, but pressing the number key actually immediately throws the grenade.

There are a lot of satisfying aspects to Siege like the sound design and using a sledge hammer to smash barricades and walls. The level destructibility conjures up the best parts of Bad Company 2 or a Company of Heroes map…as the level degrades players need to react and adjust their tactics to a radically different environment. The utter devastation of the level geometry tells a very compelling narrative of the events that unfolded during the match.

I barely play MP games anymore but my taste last night makes me really excited for this game.

-Todd

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot, fuck those suicide bombers.

I’m not liking it (the pvp mode, TH is another story). Even forgetting for a moment the myriad of problems that the game still have with the connectivity and matchmaking, the game itself… eh.
I usually like attack/defense gametypes, but even then here the gameplay is so static than it makes it feel too limited. Lots of times I’m killed by a camper. Normal if they are defending the objective, you will say. But here the term ‘camper’ reach another meaning. Here I refer to people prone in the ground, behind some cover, slightly on one side peeking around a corner and aiming through a hole in a wall, or something like that. Impossible to see or do anything. The only thing you can do is try to flank him, but you can’t try to do that until you know where he is, and for that when you know, it’s when he is firing you, and usually it’s too late then.
It feels like luck is a factor in who wins and who loses, as sometimes you enter and have luck and basically get to flank them almost by mistake, and sometimes you enter and are shot before you can’t react (in fact you need the replay to know what the hell happened).

Teamwork is non existent if you don’t play with friends, of course, and given the nature of the game, the tactics and the high lethality, it’s a big problem.

This may appeal more to me since I love games like Red Orchestra 2/Rising Tide and Insurgency where high lethality is the main draw. High lethality games always produce a lot of frustrating deaths, but reward patience over time as you learn maps and adjust tactics.

-Todd

I love high lethality. Nothing worse than putting an entire clip into someone where A. there’s no reaction to getting shot, they still move around and aim perfectly fine and B. they don’t fucking die.

I loved the multiplayer Raven Shield had, where you would start limping around when injured and when you hit right you’d drop immediately.

My issue with this so far is that the versus matches all seem to go down the same way. After a few rounds, everyone knows where to go, where to breach, where to take potshots, etc. It’s very samey.