Raised By Wolves - HBO Max

I think the necromancers/war androids are build by the church, mother was somehow reprogrammed by atheists to take care the children

That’s a good theory

I couldn’t find this on Hulu’s HBO Max.

I signed up for HBO Max to watch this and instead I’m just re-watching Point Break. That’s how they get you.

The good Point Break or the remake?

I didn’t even know there was a remake!

This show really grabbed me by the collar right off the bat and I cannot wait to see how the rest of it pans out. It’s a tangle of mysteries I’m looking forward to seeing unravelled coupled with that bleak yet humbling aesthetic straight out of Prometheus (one of its few saving graces). Dumb shit in that movie aside, it did some really interesting things in places and the parallels with David’s quirky android behaviours are all there. I’m really enjoying how both actors play their respective android roles for mother & father, father’s mannerisms in particular are just so superbly out of sync with the environment and circumstances its sorta mesmerising. Though they seem to be getting a bit more ‘human’ as the years pass.

The line between film and TV gets ever more blurred…

Hey cool, the first episode is up for free on Youtube.

Well that sucked. Another sci-fi story ruined by religion, prophecies, and chosen ones. Glad this was free, I wouldn’t pay for this.

The first 3 episodes were very cool.

Ordinarily I’d agree, but this seems to be shaping up as a somewhat smarter take. Still too early to tell, perhaps, but I get the distinct feeling that this is very much a critique of all those things.

I have some nitpicks but in general both I and my girlfriend are quite enjoying it so far. I have misgivings about it touching on religion and atheism and the specific ways it’s choosing to do so, but the ways I was worried it might slant haven’t materialized thus far. They also haven’t been ruled out. We’ll see.

Ragnar Lothbrok being in this increases my enjoyment quite a bit.

Well then thank god for plot armor!

Hmm. So I’ve been wondering why the title “Raised by Wolves”. It’s possible it was discussed by the creators someplace, but I don’t generally follow pre-release hype and while I might have gone and looked at the ancillary materials that I saw on HBO Max after the first episode, now that I’ve watched all three I can’t seem to find those anywhere. So I dunno, maybe I’m late to the party on this or wildly wrong, but…

The enduring legend of the founding of Rome is that Romulus, the first king, and his brother Remus were raised by wolves. And Mithraism was a Roman religion. (Granted, apparently an Imperial era Roman religion, but still. This is space Mithraism.)

I don’t know anything more about the title other than all the talk about who the wolves are in this trailer.

Three episodes in and I’m finding it works for me. It’s got the only good thing about Prometheus, which is the cinematography and fantastic alien landscapes, which is nice.

Also, Ridley Scott clearly has a fetish for psycho androids.

I’ll assume you’ve not watched past the freebie episode. About that:

There’s symbolic reasoning in why she didn’t kill him. He refused to look at her. It would seem her programming forbids her to kill people that don’t see her, or at least forbids her to use her ‘scream attack’ against them. As soon as he hears her scream while she fights the other android, he immediately tells Campion not to look at her and she knocks him aside. Later, in the shuttle, he still doesn’t look at her and just blind-fires. This ‘limitation’ of hers would also explain why she blindfolds herself before heading to the creche, especially since I think she is partially concerned with her own ability to act entirely rationally.
We do find out a bit more about the nature of what she is in the following episodes, but I don’t want to say much more about it. Plus, given we’re only 3 episodes in there’s still plenty of scope for it to go off the rails, so don’t want to break my back recommending it overmuch at this stage. Just, it’s not as dumb as I think you think it is. Yet. :)

I tried to watch the first episode on YouTube this morning and I could not get very far into it before I started fast forwarding through it. Yet when I look at reviews people or gushing over this. I feel like I’m missing something… If I am not crazy about the first episode do you think subsequent episodes will change my mind? FYI, I thought Prometheus was pretty terrible.

It’s also dumb but I have to say I really hate there the android’s hats!

I think I’d probably watch one more episode. The feel and pacing changes quite a bit from the opening episode, IMO.