Rambo 5 aka Rambo: Old Blood

So… its happening!

whaaaaaaaaaaa

I guess this makes sense considering how Rambo (4) ended…

— Alan

Wow, I would’a thought Rambo 4 would be it, but I’m okay with this.

Hopefully Rambo (2008) will be on a streaming service one day. I’m curious, but not pay-money curious.

Worth every penny.

Heh. Owning Rambo 3? What if someone sees that in my house? I’d never live down the shame.

No problemo! Just put a blue light next to it and you’ll get a lot of smiles.

Rambo 4 was so disguising, it’s the first time I ever almost left a movie in the theater. Seriously, it was just gross and horrible. I regret not walking about of the movie, and I regret ever seeing it.

It’s miles better than the earlier installments, particularly if you like violent action - it’s one of the best movies ever of its type.

Although we had very different reactions, I can certainly understand yours too – if you don’t like violent “Saving Private Ryan”-type violent combat, it’s certainly not for you. \

But as someone who loves mercenary movies like Dark of the Sun and Dogs of War, and whose favorite recent action movies are similarly violent: the Raid movies, Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning (amazingly) and Dredd - the recent Rambo movie is one of the very best. If you’re more into more humorous, cartoon-ish John Wick/Kingsmen type violence, Rambo is not for you.

I watched and enjoyed all of the movies you mentioned, loved them in some cases. This was just another level of gross. So much horror. This wasn’t anything like Saving Private Ryan or Dredd, imo.

I do recall Rambo 4 turning people into hamburger on screen, it was very violent in terms of what they showed.

For SPR I was just referring to the explicit effects of firearms on the human body - wasn’t otherwise suggesting they were similar. Disagree on Dredd, which I think is similar, but more fantastical.

Having only ever seen Rambo 3 with my dad when mom would go out of town, it appears I have some catching up to do. I always kinda liked 3, though, though part of that was the illicit feeling of getting to watch something so obviously R-rated!

My problem with Rambo isn’t necessarily the bloody violence. That was pretty bad, for sure.

I love those kinds of violence too, and I looooooved Rambo.

Yeah, fair enough - definitely probably a lot of overlap on the Venn Diagram. I should have said if you “only” like the other type.

I like those others too, but for some reason things like Bond and John Wick and Mission Impossible and Kingsmen are less interesting to me than actual comic superhero stuff (or other fantasy) in part because it feels like it’s supposed to be grounded on some level. I liked the first Crank a lot though.

C’mon, John Wick is totally a superhero.

Rambo has some issues–the plot is fairly basic if not extremely convenient for particular things to happen (and the rebels in fact exist which was news to me afterwards)–but the violence is way over the top in sometimes comic and mostly near-masturbatory ways. Plus the end battle is basically Rambo screaming for 10 minutes while everyone else gets killed or really hurt bad. What was the story or lesson again? I dunno.

— Alan

The first Rambo movie has one of my favorite moments of “Man have times changed” dissonance in movies.

In an early scene, when Sheriff Brian Dennehy first encounters Rambo, he notes that he’s wearing an army fatigue jacket, and especially notes the American flag patch above the chest pocket. “Folks around here,” he says, meaning the hyper patriotic, rural, smalltown folks in the town, “don’t take kindly to stuff like that.” He points at the patch.

Good luck not puzzling the shit out of a modern audience with that exchange.