Random anniversaries (that are interesting)

The Battle of Amiens , also known as the Third Battle of Picardy (French: 3ème Bataille de Picardie ), was the opening phase of the Allied offensive which began on 8 August 1918, later known as the Hundred Days Offensive, that ultimately led to the end of the First World War.

Absolutely a sad day four years ago. Let us never forget that anyone can be susceptible to depression and suicide, no matter how successful.

I was a Slackware guy back in the '90s, but I’ve used my fair share of Debian systems since.

Forty-nine years ago today. Just think if he played it at a NFL game:

Is it bad to say I’ve never understood that? I mean, I know he’s an amazing guitar player (or so I’m told), but it sounds like the National Anthem with intermittent scratching and squalling sounds.

I’ve never understood that style of electric guitar. Like I literally don’t get it - it sounds like someone making random noise.

It’s one of those things I wish I could appreciate, because based on the number of people who think it is awesome, I know I’m just missing something.

In the case of that performance, it help’s to remember that it was in the midst of the Vietnam War and he was adding an electric guitar version of the sounds of war to the anthem.

Oh! I had no idea that was what that was supposed to be.

On August 20, 1977, Voyager II started its journey on the launchpad at Cape Canaveral. It’s gone a little way since then…about 17 billion kilometers.

Doesn’t get much better than this.

According to one of our dogs, every day is Happy Dog Day. According to the other, every day is I’m a Princess and I Need to Get my Way All the Time Day.

I didn’t even know it was Dog Day but I got my dog a juicy bone from the meat counter. She’s gnawing at it right now!

So it’s officially Dog Day Afternoon.

Is it five o’clock somewhere in Dogaritiville? Time for some hair of the dog!

On August 30, 1963, the U.S. - Soviet “hotline” went into operation.

One year ago today, there was that Equifax data breach.

Some security improvements since then, but very little in the way of holding the credit bureaus responsible or improving their service to the consumer.

I heard on the radio that 25 years today, the Oslo Accords were signed. Huh, I thought, that reminds me of a joke on the first monologue Conan O’Brien made on his first episode of Late Night. His friends had always told him that the day he’d be on TV was the day there would be peace in the Middle East.

Then I found that they posted that first episode because it has actually been 25 years.

Exactly like a younger me 25 years ago, I was able to watch until the first guest came on. Then I became sleepy and restless. Those early episodes were rough, but Conan, Andy and Max kept working hard. By the time I was on summer vacation the next year and could watch whole episodes, I thought they were really hitting their stride.

Today is a day close to my heart (in more ways than one). It’s National Cheeseburger Day!

40 years ago today:

I miss when shows had good intro music. :(