Random anniversaries (that are interesting)

Sept. 26, 1960: The first televised presidential debate. John F. Kennedy emerged the apparent winner over Richard Nixon, largely because Nixon appeared nervous and looked like he needed a shave:

Damn. Remember when presidents were smart?

Oct 1, 1908 - Model T goes into production.

This one’s for the baseball fans. Forty years ago today. He would be known forever after in New England as Bucky Fucking Dent:

85th birthday of Coit Tower today.

10/11/1968 - 50 years ago today - Apollo 7, the first crewed flight of the Apollo spacecraft. The successful earth-orbit test of the spacecraft – redesigned after the tragic Apollo 1 fire – enabled NASA to change Apollo 8 from another earth orbit test to a lunar orbit mission.

Sports Illustrated had a great article on Smith and Carlos last issue, too.

One year ago, @gruntled started a pretty cool thread on Quarter to Three and it’s proven both educational and fun ever since.

It’s been a year? Everyone sing Happy Birthday to their microwave oven!

We should be able to lock the thread until Feb 29, 2020, right?

I’m not saying I set a calendar reminder literally a year ago for that joke. But maybe I did.

In 492 days we will know how far ahead Armando schedules his jokes.

This thread paid off today!

In military history on this day, we had both the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 and the US Invasion of Grenada in 1983. Neither turned out exactly as anticipated for the respective superpowers of their time.

I didn’t know much about the Grenada invasion until today!

The date of the invasion is now a national holiday in Grenada, called Thanksgiving Day, which commemorates the freeing, after the invasion, of several political prisoners who were subsequently elected to office.

If you get a chance watch Heartbreak Ridge.

1863, the Football Association was founded at the Freemason’s Tavern in London.

On November 1, 1512, Michelangelo’s fresco on the Sistine Chapel ceiling was opened for public viewing:

November 6, 1995, the darkest day in the history of Cleveland Sports. Art Modell announced he was moving the beloved Browns to Baltimore. The quote of the day belonged to, of all people, John Elway, the architect of “The Drive” that had driven a dagger into Cleveland fans’ hearts in the 1986 AFC Championship Game: “I guess I’m not the most hated man in Cleveland anymore.” He was right.

November 7, 1940: The spectacular collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge aka “Gallopin’ Gertie”