Random anniversaries (that are interesting)

I heard on the radio that 25 years today, the Oslo Accords were signed. Huh, I thought, that reminds me of a joke on the first monologue Conan O’Brien made on his first episode of Late Night. His friends had always told him that the day he’d be on TV was the day there would be peace in the Middle East.

Then I found that they posted that first episode because it has actually been 25 years.

Exactly like a younger me 25 years ago, I was able to watch until the first guest came on. Then I became sleepy and restless. Those early episodes were rough, but Conan, Andy and Max kept working hard. By the time I was on summer vacation the next year and could watch whole episodes, I thought they were really hitting their stride.

Today is a day close to my heart (in more ways than one). It’s National Cheeseburger Day!

40 years ago today:

I miss when shows had good intro music. :(

Sept. 26, 1960: The first televised presidential debate. John F. Kennedy emerged the apparent winner over Richard Nixon, largely because Nixon appeared nervous and looked like he needed a shave:

Damn. Remember when presidents were smart?

Oct 1, 1908 - Model T goes into production.

This one’s for the baseball fans. Forty years ago today. He would be known forever after in New England as Bucky Fucking Dent:

85th birthday of Coit Tower today.

10/11/1968 - 50 years ago today - Apollo 7, the first crewed flight of the Apollo spacecraft. The successful earth-orbit test of the spacecraft – redesigned after the tragic Apollo 1 fire – enabled NASA to change Apollo 8 from another earth orbit test to a lunar orbit mission.

Sports Illustrated had a great article on Smith and Carlos last issue, too.

One year ago, @gruntled started a pretty cool thread on Quarter to Three and it’s proven both educational and fun ever since.

It’s been a year? Everyone sing Happy Birthday to their microwave oven!

We should be able to lock the thread until Feb 29, 2020, right?

I’m not saying I set a calendar reminder literally a year ago for that joke. But maybe I did.

In 492 days we will know how far ahead Armando schedules his jokes.

This thread paid off today!

In military history on this day, we had both the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 and the US Invasion of Grenada in 1983. Neither turned out exactly as anticipated for the respective superpowers of their time.

I didn’t know much about the Grenada invasion until today!

The date of the invasion is now a national holiday in Grenada, called Thanksgiving Day, which commemorates the freeing, after the invasion, of several political prisoners who were subsequently elected to office.

If you get a chance watch Heartbreak Ridge.