Random anniversaries (that are interesting)

Today, January 12, 2018, is the 45th anniversary of the American League’s adoption of the designated hitter rule. The two major leagues have been operating under different rules ever since.

It is the 200th anniversary of the publication of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

On Jan 21st 1793, King Louis XVI lost his head.

In January? It must have been chilly, I hope he wore a scarf.

On Jan. 23, 1957, the Wham-O toy company introduced the Frisbee and a new era of dog tricks was born.

You know, for kids!

On January 23, 1849, Elizabeth Blackwell became the first woman to achieve a medical degree in the United States. The local press reported her graduation favourably, and when the dean, Dr. Charles Lee, conferred her degree, he stood up and bowed to her.[8]

Of course (according to the Wikipedia page) she faced an enormous amount of opposition throughout her career.

It’s National Peanut Butter Day!

I was just debating what to fix for lunch. PB&J it is!

I couldn’t find a record of whether or not the weather was dreary that night, but on January 29, 1845, The New York Evening Mirror published Edgar Allan Poe’s poem, “The Raven.”

Nice needlepoint, but for accuracy’s sake, yon ebon bird should be perched on a pallid bust of Pallas, just above some chamber door.

You’re right, but I didn’t remember distinctly because it was in the bleak December.

January 31, 1865 - The House of Representatives passes the 13th amendment, a major step along the path to abolishing slavery in the United States. By December 1865, it had been ratified by the states.

Once they go up, who cares where they come down. “That’s not my department,” says Werner von Braun.

I think you just made me feel really old…
Thanks.

Never forget that 50 years ago on this day, Martin Luther King told us to buy Dodge Ram pickups.

Here’s another one!

It’s likely, judging by the demographics of this forum, that you were born closer in time to the end of WW2 than you are today to your birthday.

Absolutely not! My birthday is only a few months away, while WWII had been done for over 10 years by the time I was born!