Random gaming thoughts and questions

The weird thing is I love this loop in a strategy type game, but I hate it in first/third person action/combat games. My biggest complaint about Dyson Sphere Programme is the way you’re tied to an avatar.

Counterpoint to the survival critique; FPS games like CoD and Battlefield are basically the same game loop as mouse practice games from MS-DOS where you click on the fast-moving flies.Also like Duckhunt, but less realistic. They seem popular too. ;)

Seriously play The Long Dark, or Subnautica if you haven’t.

Do we still count the counterpoint if we agree with the disparaging characterization of FPS games?

I think it’s fair to say that the only good game is Slice & Dice

Well I’ve never heard of it so it can’t be that great.

As a veteran of Ark, Conan, 7 Days to Die, Valheim, Raft, Grounded and others that I can’t remember at the moment all I can say is different strokes for different folks :)

Sometimes I like the crafting games, or the Death Stranding build the infrastructure games. I just started God of War, and it’s terrific, but it’s an intense experience that I only want to play ~ 90 minutes at a time. After that I want to just relax and break some stuff, harvest resources, and build something while listening to a podcast.

I need some more HardSpace: Shipbreaker style content in my life to balance BOOOOOYYYYY.

Btw is the raft any good solo @TundraToad?

Is Captain Toad a survival game?

I played Raft with 2 buddies so I don’t know about solo. The game is ok with some peaks and valleys. Of the games I listed it’s the weakest.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker on the Switch? No, it’s a Mario spinoff that has only the Captain toad levels from Super Mario 3D World, spun off into its own complete game. Basically platforming without jumping. Or you could call it a puzzle game, I suppose.

Thanks. Aw shit my friend’s been pulling my leg then.

Xfinity sent me a new modem/router upgrade and when I turned on my Xbox 360 for my periodic retro game fix, I found that the console will no longer connect to my home network. I’ve been through everything I can think of to get the wireless connection to work, but I think it may just be at the point where the older console and newer modem just can’t communicate. I guess I could go wired but the console is a good dozen, maybe fifteen feet from the router, I don’t have any cable that long. I’m. It ready to cut the console loose because I still have some older games that were never made backward compatible with newer consoles. I guess it was bound to happen though.

I never had an X360; is that one with the Wifi built in, or is it using an add-on wireless adapter? There are some newer Wifi routers which try to improve speed by disallowing connections from very old Wifi standards like 802.11b or .11g. How old is it?

Depends on the model, but mine has built-in Wi-Fi. It’s kind of funny, it recognizes the network, and tries to connect using 802.11n, but then just says it failed. I can’t even attempt to authenticate, I can’t get to a login. It just says nope! Basically.

It does toss some troubleshooting at me, like manually assigning an IP, making sure certain ports are open, cycling the router, standard stuff. But I know it’s not a router problem, I’ve got a bunch of other devices like phones, tablets, laptops, heck my Series X can connect just fine. Just doesn’t get along with the 360 for whatever reason.

Do you have another mobile device which can act as a hotspot, and then try connecting the XBox to that? Is the XBox only using DHCP or Automatic for network configuration, or were you using some fixed settings before for IP/router/etc? Also, are there any logs or connection attempt info available at the new router?

Hey yeah, didn’t think of using my phone as a hotspot but my 360 does recognize it. Can’t imagine bandwidth is much worth a damn but it will work until I can figure out something more permanent.

Wondering if anyone here played Assassin’s Creed: Rogue. I’m playing through the PC version now and running into what I think is a bug but may be “as designed.” Running into a real scarcity of the “metal” resource for upgrading my ship, and this isn’t helping: when infiltrating outposts/forts with warehouses to raid, sometimes I get spotted/have to fight and suddenly the key holders disappear and the map reports the warehouses are empty. This really sucks.

Anyone else remember this, and if there was a trick to getting the outposts to reset?

I’ve been meaning to check out the racing game GRIP for a while and just noticed the logo that, like the cars in-game, work when rolled:

Some really smart line work there.

And while we’re at it, I always loved Evolve’s logo:

4v1, and the 1 evolves and gets strong enough to stand toe-to-toe with the 4 (the animated logo even shows the E bar getting bigger). It’s rare to see the core concept of a game folded into its logo, and so elegantly too.

Can anyone else think of other good examples?

I’ve heard about this. “My dad works at Nintendo and get a copy of every game.”