Random gaming thoughts and questions

That’s ridiculous.

I don’t want to play Spyro again that badly.

The games are very simple, with the possible exception of some collectible hunts. Additionally, there is no penalty for dying, other than losing some coins. These games are perfect for kids and for significant others with no gaming ability whatsoever.

All good feedback, thanks. I will pass for now. Such deals though!

I’m learning as I go that dead babies solve a ridiculously high number of puzzles in Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Right now my ideal video game would be a cross between SimCity and Burnout Paradise Remastered. I’ve been playing Burnout Paradise Remastered through EA Access on my Xbox, and all it does is remind me of my years-long desire to drive the streets of the cities I build.

SimCity 4 had Rush Hour with the U Drive It missions, but what I want is to be dropped down into my city in first person and race through in a variety of vehicles, like an openworld Burnout/racing game. I don’t just want to take a tour, I want to blow through town at 150mph.

I know this isn’t an uncommon desire in the gaming world, so come on game studios, get on this. All I need is an all-in-one full-fledged city simulator with functioning economic pushback and built-in street racing functionality with leaderboards and online map sharing via Steam Workshop or something. I guarantee at least one copy sold on day one. I’ll even pre-order.

I take it you never played Streets of SimCity?

I haven’t heard of it (or if I had I’ve forgotten). So I excitedly ran to Google to figure out what it is and where to buy it.

Released in 1997 and rated 4.4/10.

I am disappointed.

Yeah. The concept was so cool (well, if you like racing games, which I don’t, but that’s beside the point), but the execution was abysmal. IIRC, you could also import your SC2K towns into SimCopter and fly around in them, but I think it was also terrible :(

What game heralded changing the movement key remapping from arrow keys to WASD?

is that the one with the gay easter egg?

Wizardry?

Ultima Underworld had something close, but mouselook with wasd was pioneered by Bethesda in the Terminator series of games.

Nah, that’s SimCopter, which is a billion times better than Streets of SimCity.

Does this generation have an equivalent to the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series, in the respect that it helped promote skate culture and shaped musical tastes for a bunch of teenagers?

For skating specifically? I don’t think so. It’s been pretty fallow since the EA Skate series died, and even then nothing’s had the cultural impact of Tony Hawk since.

Kids these days are all about getting their musical tastes shaped by 5 Nights at Freddy’s and Fortnite.

(I think the last big generational music-influence game may have been Rock Band, which established a canon for Classic Rock songs among a certain age group)

Yea, the question was more meant to be about music, but thinking about it I realized that skate culture kind of blew up around the time of THPS as well. Guitar Hero/Rock Band is a good one!

I know there’s a Supreme fashion brand that’s worth 1 billion dollars. Their trick seems to be making shit limited and making it really expensive and instantly selling a third of their stock to one reseller that marks it up even more.

Also, stealing an anticapitalist message to sell bullshit is … I don’t even know what to say.

🐛🐛🐛 So I’ve been playing a whole hell of a lot of Burnout Paradise Remastered lately thanks to EA Access on my Xbox One. And like most open-world games the developers of this game put in whimsical and satirical billboards and such throughout the map.

One particular billboard stands out. Every time I see it, and I do see it quite a bit because it’s absolutely everywhere, all I can think of is an old internet meme from several years ago.

It gives me the creepy crawlies. 🐛🐛🐛

I love how the tree behind the billboard looks like her hair.