Random Movie Discussions

I saw They Cloned Tyrone

I really enjoyed it! It’s kind of a mix between Black Dynamite, Sorry to Bother You and a good old-fashioned “hood” film. A bit of a Blaxploitation film in a more modern setting, basically.
John Boyega is SO good in it, and, for the first time in a long long time, Jamie Foxx did not make me want to turn off the movie as soon as he was on screen. On the contrary, I enjoyed his performance a bunch.
Teyonah Parris (who I only know from that Candyman thing I did not care for at all) rounds out the trio as a fiery, funny, capable lady.

The “message” maaay be a little heavy-handed, but I think there is enough going on, not least of all the performances, that even if you roll your eyes at that part, you will probably have fun with this movie.

It did remind me, however, that modern movies, especially produced for streaming, just seem to be lit badly. Night scenes (esp. indoors) often are just a murky, mushy mess, and not interesting to look at. There are people more knowledgeable about the technical aspects who have criticized this over the years, but I can only remark on how things “look” to me, and I think it does a disservice to the whole look of the film.