Random Movie Discussions

I just saw Lars and the Real Girl for the first time. Well isn’t this a nice little fantasy about community and healing! I mean, it’s not necessarily fantastic, in the ‘this could never happen’ sense, but its conception of a pleasant little town that rallies around a sick man’s delusion is a pretty lovely little dream in this day and age. I suspect that even in 2007 this felt dreamy and unreal, but no matter the era, this movie works because it offers such an attractive portrait of what’s possible in a community.

Lars is an odd man in his late 20s, shy and awkward to the point of painfulness, but still sweet; his loved ones are exasperated with him, not unnerved. He’s single and–as you can imagine for a single man played by Ryan Gosling–his love life is constantly inquired after. One day he breaks and brings home a Real Doll, calling her Bianca and treating her as his real girlfriend. No one can hear her speak but Lars, and his murmured conversations with her are a sweet treat (as is their fight). It’s as if we’re watching a Calvin & Hobbes pairing from the parents perspective; we just see a stuffed tiger, but according to him there’s a lot more happening that we can’t see.

This affects his family, friends, fellow church goers, and coworkers in different ways, but the fundamental sweetness of the movie is that by and large everyone accepts his damage, and works with it. Bianca gets a job (several, in fact), a doctor, and friends who do her hair. After a few “WTF?” looks, every other person in town gently encourages “Lars & Bianca”.

I have the sense a more modern movie would play things darker. He’d be undercut at work, or in church. Taunts would ring out as Lars wheels Bianca down the street. And I kept expecting this to happen. I was braced for the other shoe to drop. But this isn’t about triumphing over the small-minded; this is how a community can heal its members.

Emily Mortimer is great as Lars’ sister in law, Karen, someone initially pushing him to come out of his shell and date for gods sake. Her excitement when he says he’s met someone is adorable, painful, and quite funny, as are her wide eyes as she sits with Lars and his new girlfriend. (there are frequent shots of Bianca’s frozen doll face, and they never stopped causing me to clutch my viewing companion’s leg and laugh) Kelly Garner is adorable basically any time she’s on screen. No one does bashful comedic awkwardness like her, while also having the chops to pull off some really finely observed emotional work as things with Lars get into will-they-won’t-they territory. See, she’s Margo, a coworker with a questionable crush on Lars (though I guess, remember he looks like Ryan Gosling), and the second main plot thread—behind ‘will Lars wake up’—is about their possible romance. And it’s sweet and painful and good. Patricia Clarkson is great, too, as a non-judgemental doctor/psychologist who calmly allows Lars to just be where he is, and helps his family understand how to help him.

Clarkson’s diagnosis is simple: Lars is deluded, he’s deluded because he’s working something out, and we can trust and support this process…or we can fight it. It’s really charming and refreshing to see a movie so firmly in the “trust and support” camp, and to occupy that space with such simplicity and strength. The filmmaking here is nicely spare; scenes aren’t too talky and many important moments are given time to breathe. It proceeds gently, just like you’d hope someone would be with you, if you were struggling. It’s a lovely film; soothing, and pleasant, and not too sweet.

I saw a new time travel movie had been added to Hulu. Ooooh, could this be a hidden gem, a nice find?

No. Unknown “actors” who don’t know how to act, terrible, terrible dialog, and boring story. I made it about 20 minutes in before I couldn’t take it anymore.

Sorry, I’m too lazy to look up the name of the horrible movie. Intersected, or something like that.

By Grabthar’s Hammer, Galaxy Quest is free* on YouTube. Haven’t watched it in decades.

*ads, of course

https://youtu.be/FQG6FdnMmlQ

Sadly, its geo-locked and unavailable in Canada. I’ll have to check if this historical document is available on anything I have access to.

I guess this isn’t even really a movie, more a discussion about a potential movie, but I thought it was interesting that Guillermo del Toro is still interested in filming Lovecraft’s ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ and thinks he might be able to scale it back for one of the streaming services.

Importantly, he wants to scale it back, but also make it weirder and less “blockbuster-y” than his previous takes for the big studios. Sounds good!

The article doesn’t mention what I last heard about the project, which is that Del Toro lost the interest in MOM because Prometheus supposedly stole it’s central premise. Which… I know what he means, but I don’t think is accurate at all and, besides, Prometheus is terrible, right? (I haven’t bothered to watch it.)

I didn’t think Prometheus was terrible but that seems to be the general consensus, yes.

You could just listen to The Kingcast episode and hear it for yourself - but since I’m a Constant Listener - it doesn’t sound dead to him. He has other irons in the fire though, and it needs time he doesn’t have right now to do a rewrite for all the reasons mentioned.

There’s also some talk about how he thinks Alien is the best Lovecraft movie ever made, and its parallels with At the Mountains of Madness. I didn’t get the impression he felt Prometheus ate their lunch, more brought the parallels into starker relief.

Also, when the Tom Cruise casting was mentioned for a re-wamped version he basically went yeah…no, in the nicest way possible.

To be clear, I didn’t think it was still dead for the Prometheus reason, just that the article talked about the barriers it hit historically at different studios and not that fact that (as I recall Del Toro almost explicitly saying) Prometheus ate its lunch. Ah, here:

On April 30, del Toro posted a message on his official website stating that he believed Prometheus was going to echo the “creation aspects” of At the Mountains of Madness . The director wrote that, if he was proven correct, Scott’s film would “probably mark a long pause—if not the demise—of ATMOM .”

The Lovecraftianness of Alien aside, I think a lot of what’s exciting about ATMOM is exactly what makes it different from a sci-fi franchise, which is the time period (although it would play in modern times too), the polar expedition, scientific discoveries, etc. I’m really excited to hear it might see the light of day.

I realize this may be a controversy opinion, but Citizen Kane is really good. Like, shockingly so. I popped in the disk just to check out the transfer quality on the new Criterion release, and got absolutely sucked in. For an eighty year old film, it feels incredibly modern.

There are old movies that are worth watching as historical artifacts and to fill in one’s knowledge of cinema, but this one remains absolutely delightfully enjoyable on its own merits to this day.

Interesting that 3 of Metacritic’s top 5 films of 2021 are directed by women: Quo Vadis Aida, Rocks, and Petite Maman. (Only about 1/3 of the top 20 are.) Seems like movie direction is gradually getting some gender parity.

I didn’t really want to make a thread for this but I couldn’t just let it go by without acknowledging it, so -

Nope. Nope.

Nooooopppppeeeee

Do not want, do not do.

Production is set to start at the end of February in Bulgaria.

That seems odd.

I’ll wait until people tell me it’s surprisingly good before I see it. Certainly not a day one movie. You’d better not mess with a classic unless you’re going to come close to matching it.

Sometimes people ask me
“hey, do you like movies?”
and I push up my glasses, go “heh” and say
"no, kid. I don’t like movies. I like film.

As I scrolled through the movies forum I feel like the direct juxtaposition of these two thread titles and the post/view counts says something about QT3

I think it says more about AppleTV+

Has anyone besides me seen Lapsis?

Trailer:

Summary (some spoilers, from Rotten Tomatoes)

>In a parallel present, delivery man Ray Tincelli is struggling to support himself and his ailing younger brother. After a series of two-bit hustles and unsuccessful swindles, Ray takes a job in a strange new realm of the gig economy: trekking deep into the forest, pulling cable over miles of terrain to connect large, metal cubes that link together the new quantum trading market. As he gets pulled deeper into the zone, he encounters growing hostility and the threat of robot cablers, and must choose to either help his fellow workers or to get rich and get out.

I saw it the other night, and was surprised to not see any discussion at all on QT3. The overall plot is really interesting - a world of quantum computers, but for whatever reason they need to be connected together with miles of cable that are lugged by humans across sometimes quite long distances. I haven’t yet played Death Stranding, but it absolutely made me think of the clips I’ve seen of the game.

Unfortunately, in some ways it leans more into the more mundane aspects of the universe than some of the absolutely bonkers aspects that are hinted at early on. For example (spoiler for the first 5 minutes of the movie), the lead character gets a parking ticket because he has the wrong calander - only quantum computers give you the right one now - is that supposed to be a commentary on uncertainty, or on people without the latest tech being cutoff from even the most basic knowledge like what side of the street is legal to park on right now? What about all the street signs that say one way, and point in many overlapping directions all at once - are we going to see uncollapsed possibilities?

For a low budget indie, I thought this was pretty interesting, though I think the third act was a little lacking. Anyone else see this?

I have seen it and I loved it. Your Death Stranding comparison is great! Very nice, Mr. Jim! My more recent reaction would be that it’s a solid companion piece to Severance on Apple TV or the social satire Sorry to Bother You.

I liked the script a lot, but I mostly liked Lapsis for the lead actor. Dean Imperial was such a great fit for the lead. He’s got tough-guy-gone-to-seed looks that are perfect for the role, but the moment he opens his mouth, he reveals a kind of beaten-down vulnerability. I loved his scenes with the woman he meets in the woods. Sadly, Dean Imperial isn’t in anything else.

-Tom

Attention all Paul Schrader fans! While the filmmaker has a surely singular horticulturist thriller staring Sigourney Weaver arriving later this year, a script he wrote over a decade ago originally titled The Jesuit ended up unable to secure financing when he wanted a pre-famous Oscar Isaac in the lead and was ultimately picked up by some random first-time filmmaker. Apparently Schrader ended his involvement there and assumed it was going to be rubbish, but he seemed quite enthusiastic when he saw a rough-cut of it back in 2014 describing it as a “badass exploitation film with a black soul and shoot-from-the-hip style.” Well, while I have no idea why it failed to find a distributor for eight years it’s finally coming out next month as There Are No Saints, and looks like a suitably sleazy revenge flick in the style of Rolling Thunder or the latest border-centric Rambo film. I’m excited to see it even though it features Neal McDonough who is like the antithesis of the Harry Dean Stanton rule for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4Pyqj4g_s