Random obsolete technologies to reminisce about

Today that’s called Alexa.

I have ordered thirty toasters, Alistair.

Damn NSA analysts can’t even count.

I still have most of my physical drafting supplies from High School somewhere. When we were done drawing with pencil we could go use the PCs and do CAD stuff for fun or play SimCity 2000.

Not as old but a cool marriage of 40 year old tech with current:

What is haich-dmi? He says it repeatedly.

It’s a weird Britishism.

Mitchell and Webb addressed it, even.

That was pretty macabre, but hilarious. The spirit of Python lives on.

Not actually anything that caught on or that I ever saw in person, but this thread is as good a place as any for this picture:

I miss my Pocket PC since it had actual physical buttons, and you could run emulators on it. Storage was even expandable to 2GB once manufacturers started making compact flash that size!!

Yeah until you try to use the old Windows CE / Mobile interface with a tiny stylus and no modern affordances. You quickly remember that the iPhone wouldn’t be released for 5 or more years and handhelds were still in the dark ages of usability.

Diego

Yeah, but touch screens suck for (most good) games.

That’s fair. Now we have the Switch.

Diego

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-lotus-notes-20180808-story.html

I spent several years as a Lotus Notes developer and admin, from 1998 to about 2004. Even then, a good chunk of my projects involved migrations away from Notes and onto other systems…usually email, but also some database systems like the one in that article. But clearly there’s still an install base out there. Old technology never dies, it just gets maintained by expensive consultants!

You clearly didn’t have a Palmpilot! I think history went down one of the pant legs when palmpilot died and smartphones took over.

Indeed I DID have a few Palm Pilots in my time. They were fine, but in general could DO LESS than the late Windows CE devices.

Now, if we’re talking about webOS devices, that’s a different thing, That was a VERY good OS held back by crappy hardware and managed / killed by a company who had NO idea what they were doing (Palm inc and HP both).

Diego

Ohh very nice. I only had the early ones, never one like the Treo with internet connectivity. I think they were a princely sum back then $750?

Heck, IIRC the early ones just had infrared to communicate with… now I’m trying to remember what a palmpilot connected to. Other palmpilots?

Here’s the one I had. Looking at it now it’s amazing how much screen is lost to bezel and palm-writing area. It played a couple games like Worms, and I mostly carried it around without using it. Purchased as my company subsidized it by half if I recall correctly.

My company still uses Lotus Notes. Thumbs down!

The last migration I worked on, Lotus Notes was part of the move. Gotta keep using a proven winner! Looking at that Win3.1 UI was a constant pain.