Random obsolete technologies to reminisce about

Playing around with Windows 95b caused me to lose my MacOS religion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2018/08/27/there-are-only-a-handful-of-apple-i-computers-left-one-is-expected-to-fetch-300000/?utm_term=.186219286362

Oh WOW, I’ll have to try this with some old games.

Well it works on my Macbook, but it’s sluggish. I’ll try it on my PC later.

OS2 Warp ran the MOO2 windows version better than Windows did.

There’s a little more nostalgia: Games that had both Windows and DOS versions.

The Internet Archive has put out a C64 emulator. I might have to play with this later, they have Chipwits!

Is the performance better than simply running Win95 in VMWare or VirtualBox?

Anyway, here’s my list of obsolete technologies that I was sad to see go the way of the dodo:

1. Audiovox Maestro - Running Pocket PC 2002, it was better for gaming than most smart phones because it had actual physical buttons! I played Final Fantasy 6 on this device. I miss it so much. First I had to replace the battery since it wore out and wouldn’t hold a charge, but the replacement battery was not much better. Then I broke the power plug and had to re-solder it, but the case never fit together properly afterward. Then I dropped my bedside lamp on it and broke the screen. Into the trash it went. :( The Maestro supported 2GB compact flash cards! Plenty of space for ROMs.
  2. Windows Phone 8/10 - I love the GUI. Much better than Android. (I’ve never owned an iPhone.) Technically not dead, since phones are still being sold. But new phones are no longer being designed.
  3. MiniDisc - Lots of nostalgia for these. The last ones featured 1GB capacity! Better than CD!