Random thought thread!

Random thought for the day - The solution to declining wired phone usage is the spread of a sort of sci-fi like video phone, using broadband data lines (without necessarily charging the customer for an internet service contract). Sort of a built in webcam/phone combo with a screen, but something much easier and better than a standard webcam.

Why is declining wired phone usage a problem that needs solution?

Who decided on clubs, hearts, diamonds and spades? Who made them boss?

And what is a Jack anyways?

“Shape of My Heart”

Sting

He deals the cards as a meditation
And those he plays never suspect
He doesn’t play for the money he wins
He doesn’t play for the respect
He deals the cards to find the answer
The sacred geometry of chance
The hidden law of probable outcome
The numbers lead a dance

I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
I know that the clubs are weapons of war
I know that diamonds mean money for this art
But that’s not the shape of my heart

He may play the jack of diamonds
He may lay the queen of spades
He may conceal a king in his hand
While the memory of it fades

That’s not the shape, the shape of my heart

And if I told you that I loved you
You’d maybe think there’s something wrong
I’m not a man of too many faces
The mask I wear is one
Those who speak know nothing
And find out to their cost
Like those who curse their luck in too many places
And those who fear are lost

That’s not the shape of my heart

A2345

Why are diamonds the lowest suit in Hearts instead of clubs as in Bridge?

They aren’t. Clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades are equal. Edit: There is no trump.

What the hell is
12345 anyway?

If the following cards are played in hearts:

3 Diamonds
3 Clubs

Queen Spades
6 Hearts

The 3 clubs wins.

What? I’ve never heard of such a rule. Is that some house rule you use? I’ve never played a game on a computer or in person that used that rule. In that example the diamond would win because it’s played first. In fact, I take it back, nothing is trump in Hearts, is it? It’s only that you are trying to get rid of hearts and the queen of spades. Or, get them all if you are shooting the moon.

Hearts has no trump suit.

Spades has spades as trump.

In Bridge, the trump suit varies depending on the bidding, and it is also possible to have no trump.

5 is the minimum number of characters for any post.

So when someone wants to agree with something another poster says, they may say “QTF45” to meet the 5 character limit.

As a result, someone quoting something and typing merely “12345” usually means “I agree with this and am quoting it for emphasis.”

Yeah, I don’t know what game you’re playing; it’s not Hearts as I learned it.

OMG I’m an idiot. Where’s my coffee?

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. There are no special cards that win the play. There is no seniority. The “winner” is the one that has the highest card in the same suit that was played first. Though in Hearts really you are trying to throw away all your hearts (and the QoS as mentioned).

The only thing special about clubs is that whoever has the two of clubs has to play first.

Maybe you are thinking of a different game?

Most European card games seem to have four suits. However, not all of them use clubs, hearts, diamonds and spades. German suits, for instance, replace diamonds with bells, spades with leaves and clubs with acorns. Italian cards tend to still use the old tarot suits of swords, clubs (meaning something you hit someone with, not three leaved clovers), coins and cups. The number of cards in each suit can vary depending on country and game, but the number of suits generally stays the same. As for the why of those particular markers? It’s hard to say. The Italian/tarot variation are the suits that are found on the oldest cards known, though they could be derived from what was seen as the four medieval classes, where the cups represented the clergy, the swords represented the military, the clubs represented the farmers and the coins represented the merchant class.

The version we use in America and the UK come from a French variation, where they were trying to lower the cost of the cards by using stamps or stencils. The Italian versions took a lot of work and were generally prized, but the simple shapes and pips of the French cards were basically just stamped onto stock and sold in a pack. Which is where the shapes we know today came from. Hooray.

Funny that phone usage so quickly turned to a card debate.

So, does anyone else think Omaha is the dumbest made up poker game or is it just me?

What would you call an Omaha poker tournament, anyway? Omaha Stakes?