Random thought thread!

I couldn’t see roots but it was at a distance.

I mean the blonde hair is the roots. Way grown out.

This really didn’t look like a natural blonde color, unless he’s some sort of odd albino.

I just ate a bunch of Taco Bell, because fuck it. Sometimes you need to hurt yourself to know you’re still alive.

It’s officially Fall for me. I just deleted my hurricane tracking apps from my phone. Time to break out the tee shirts with sleeves.

I like this interactive resume. Not sure how well it works on mobile…

http://www.rleonardi.com/interactive-resume/

Got an email from Delta today telling me to book my flight to Cuba. What times we live in.

Well, to be fair to Delta, they probably figure a lot of people who are threatening to move to Canada depending on the election results, might actually opt for Cuba instead, if they realized it was an option. They are just performing a public service by reminding you.

If only they’d pictured a brown iris.

Hey who knows, maybe they are actually offering a service that involves shoving a large camera that looks like an eyeball right up your ass.

In hilarious gentrification news:

I work on NY’s lower east side, near Bowery, and walked home today around Delancy and Allen St.

Apparently, all of the local bars and restaurants hosted a trick or treating block event for the local kids, so there were dozens of kids wandering around with and without parents popping into storefronts and getting candy from the bouncers.

For people familiar with that area from, say, the 80s (@RichVR), I gather it’s kind of an unimaginable scene.

For those of us who are not familiar with the area… how come?

As an aside, just gave candy to a cute member of The Incredibles. I hope they keep it up until the 2nd movie comes out!

It was a really rough area until not too long ago. Addicts and bums and whatnot. Think The Warriors.

My wife and I are visiting this city this week, and this is the first year my we haven’t been in a place with primarily single-family houses for Halloween. I was a little surprised that businesses instead of residences are the target for trick-or-treaters. (I guess it makes sense when everyone lives behind a key or a buzzer, but it’s the little things that make a place feel the most different.)

In other news, the windows on the subway which look through driver’s compartments have vertical gratings in them, so you can’t look to the side to see the driver. Another name for that arrangement of slits and opaque segments is a double-slit interferometer. You can see the diffraction pattern on lights in the tunnel.

By the time of the Civil War, the mansions and shops had given way to low-brow concert halls, brothels, German beer gardens, pawn shops, and flophouses, like the one at No.15 where the composer Stephen Foster lived in 1864.[12] Theodore Dreiser closed his tragedy Sister Carrie, set in the 1890s, with the suicide of one of the main characters in a Bowery flophouse. The Bowery, which marked the eastern border of the slum of “Five Points”, had also become the turf of one of America’s earliest street gangs, the nativist Bowery Boys. In the spirit of social reform, the first YMCA opened on the Bowery in 1873;[13] another notable religious and social welfare institution established during this period was the Bowery Mission, which was founded in 1880 at 36 Bowery by Reverend Albert Gleason Ruliffson. The mission has relocated along the Bowery throughout its lifetime. From 1909 to the present, the mission has remained at 227–229 Bowery.
Berenice Abbott photograph of a Bowery restaurant in 1935, when the street was lined with flophouses

By the 1890s, the Bowery was a center for prostitution that rivaled the Tenderloin, and for bars catering to gay men and some lesbians at various social levels, from The Slide at 157 Bleecker Street, New York’s “worst dive”,[14] to Columbia Hall at 5th Street, called Paresis Hall. One investigator in 1899 found six saloons and dance halls, the resorts of “degenerates” and “fairies”, on the Bowery alone.[15] Gay subculture was more highly visible there and more integrated into working-class male culture than it was to become in the following generations, according to the historian of gay New York, George Chauncey.

From 1878 to 1955 the Third Avenue El ran above the Bowery, further darkening its streets, populated largely by men. “It is filled with employment agencies, cheap clothing and knickknack stores, cheap moving-picture shows, cheap lodging-houses, cheap eating-houses, cheap saloons”, writers in The Century Magazine found it in 1919. “Here, too, by the thousands come sailors on shore leave,—notice the ‘studios’ of the tattoo artists,—and here most in evidence are the ‘down and outs’”.[16] Prohibition eliminated the Bowery’s numerous saloons: One Mile House, the “stately old tavern… replaced by a cheap saloon”[17] at the southeast corner of Rivington Street, named for the battered milestone across the way,[18] where the politicians of the East Side had made informal arrangements for the city’s governance, [19][20] was renovated for retail space in 1921, “obliterating all vestiges of its former appearance”, The New York Times reported. Restaurant supply stores were among the businesses that had come to the Bowery,[21] and many remain to this day.

Pressure for a new name after World War I came to naught[21] and in the 1920s and 1930s, it was an impoverished area. From the 1940s through the 1970s, the Bowery was New York City’s “Skid Row,” notable for “Bowery Bums” (disaffiliated alcoholics and homeless persons).[22] Among those who wrote about Bowery personalities was New Yorker staff member Joseph Mitchell (1908–1996). Aside from cheap clothing stores that catered to the derelict and down-and-out population of men, commercial activity along the Bowery became specialized in used restaurant supplies and lighting fixtures.[2]

It wasn’t just in my days. It has a history of being a sleazy and dangerous place. The fact that things have changed so much for the better makes me happy.

Weirdly, the restaurant supply industry is still going strong in the area.

We went walking down there last summer, and yeah, the restaurant supply shops line both sides of the streets in some places. With nobody in them. It was kinda weird.

Well, restaurant supply is usually handled by a buyer who comes to one of those places using it as a showroom, which is what they are. There are an assortment of things that a retail customer can purchase, and they are usually pretty cheap. A good place to go if you’re interested in restaurant quality implements. They make most of their money selling wholesale to businesses.