Random thought thread!

If you’re East coast then yes I am.

That’s like The Sopranos on PAX (Heat on network TV).

So there is a place in NYC that my friends and I used to go to.

Some background:
We used to sell t-shirts at concerts. We’d go to a place on Long Island and pick up a huge duffle bag of freshly silk screened shirts. Each. Then we’d drive to Manhattan or the Spectrum or wherever to sell them. We’d make a pretty decent amount of cash. We got the shirts on consignment, at the time for like two bucks each. We’d sell them for three or more each, depending upon the show.

Anyway.

In New York, after we sold out. And assuming that nobody got popped (arrested) we’d go to either The Meatball, an Italian restaurant on 34th and 8th Ave. Or our favorite place. Wo-Hop. A Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. Wo-Hop was so great. There is an upstairs place for the tourists. Waiters with jackets, nice tablecloths. The whole thing.

We went to the downstairs. That’s where there was big communal tables and the kitchen was right there.

The first time we went there we had various smokable drugs. This included a large lump of hash and a large lump of opium. We sat at a table near the kitchen and as the assholes we were we started to smoke opium. It was amazing. Several of the kitchen crew came out. We spoke no Chinese dialect. The spoke very little English. But we understood that they would like a hit of opium. We shared. The waiter came by. We shared. The kitchen guys started to bring out some amazing dishes. We ran out of opium. We had hash. We shared.

Eventually we had a bond. The kitchen guys would forever know us as 'YOU". Any time we came back they would say, ‘YOU, YOU!’ Maybe that was a word for druggie asshole. It didn’t matter.

Let me make this clear, at no time did we get free food. And we tipped really well. I just think we got better food than some might.

I miss the 70s. And I miss Wo-Hop.

I miss the 70’s as well.
But seriously, you have great stories. You need to do a book or something. Or at least post them here more often.

QT3 have a sister website called 4:21 where we only talk about drugs.

You mean 4:20, right? :)

Edit: Thanks @Giles_Habibula. I actually tried to get a ghost writer a few years ago. I’m old and lazy. Typing up my life story seems rather boring to me. But if I could talk to someone about it they couldn’t stop me. :) Never got off the ground.

And now the news:

So when returning from the extended weekend I was wondering why my, previously well tended, rosebush looked like it had been hit with a small explosive charge. The next day this was there. The wife, who comes from the Pacific Northwest, identified this as deer poop. I trust her about things like this. So it seems that a small deer or deer, (deer is an irregular plural. Deers is sometimes used but only rarely) has/have been dining upon my roses. This happened again today. Now I call it raindeer poop. It’s been raining. Go ahead, laugh.

So I’m guessing that there must be something that can be used as deer repellent. Any ideas? The urine of a wolverine comes to mind. Or that of a large predator of some kind?

Edit: To answer my own question, in the old days a sock full of human hair (!?!?) used to work. But these days deer are used to the smell of humans. And Indeed the smell of dogs as well. In the old days a house with humans and dogs would be enough.

Other suggestions are bars of perfumed soap, dish soap and perfume. If that doesn’t work they have a scent that smells like coyote urine. Guess what, the sprays are expensive.

So I just thought of my own. Hot sauce in a spray bottle. As soon as I cut that rose bush down a bit, I’m going to make a cayenne pepper and soap mix in a spray bottle. My luck it will kill the plant. Stay tuned.

Do you know who’s really good at getting people to talk about themselves and other interesting topics?

@tomchick is.

Match made in internet heaven.

Surprisingly, mint. My mother’s house has a few bushes behind some mint plants, and those are the ones the deer don’t eat.

If you don’t want to commit yourself to pulling out excess mint on a weekly basis, I hear other highly aromatic herbs/plants do the trick too. A border of lavender around the garden might help.

The Claymore is also highly effective and even fertilizes your yard, but it’s a bit messy.

Maybe you can eat the deer?

Grew up with deer always being in the yard and attempting to go through anything we had in our garden.

Ready for this?

Dryer sheets. Hang one up near the bush. Change it every month or two depending on rain.

If you don’t want to use those though, there are two methods: adding human or foreign smells, or making whatever they munch on less fun, either bitter or hot. Sometimes the latter method messes with plants, so we always used the former method. Dryer sheets or dryer lint are easy to come by, so that’s what we used.

The wife’s away on a business trip. Last night she went out drinking with her co-workers (“guys”) who bought her the “biggest hurricane ever”. She got got back to the hotel at 3:30. She says she totally needed a good party night.

So, that’s cool, right?

When I go out on business trips, I will frequently go out & drink and talk with my co-workers, and sometimes it can be pretty late. Hotel/Motel rooms just beg to do something else.

Are they women and do they buy you drinks?

https://m.popkey.co/49e5b4/EpbLm_s-200x150.gif

That was me. I like your response though. Because I got exactly what @Balasarius was hinting at, but know nothing about him and his wife, or their relationship. So your response was better than anything I could come up with.

Balasarius, I dunno what you want us to say. I hope you’re wrong I guess?

My opinion, for what it’s worth, if your wife had something to hide she wouldn’t have volunteered the information. She didn’t have to tell you she went out with the guys and got hammered. I know in my traveling consultant days I felt like I spent more hours in some stage of inebriation than sober. She felt like cutting loose, why not?

I’m just a jealous asshole, I guess. Never in 17 years has she gone out drinking with me, beyond half a margarita at dinner that I usually end up finishing. I keep thinking of if the situation were reversed - a group of female co-workers took me out partying and were buying me drinks, would that be ok? And we stayed out until 3:30?

When we first started dating 17 years ago, she told me she was going to go to a cabin with her all-male gamer friends and play D&D all weekend. I told her I wasn’t really cool with that, and she didn’t go.

Oh well.

Ah, that puts things into perspective. In that case, I think a little hurt feelings is understandable and I think it’s fair to say so to your wife. Maybe not take her to task, but mention maybe you’d like to go have a drink with her now and then. I think you’re right that your wife would feel jealous if you were out cavorting with younger women, but try looking at it from her side - and here I admit I’m speculating, but this probably was a last minute “hey let’s go get a drink” thing, and your wife probably didn’t want to be a stick in the mud by not going along, and not drinking the enormous hurricane. I guess I’m doing what the sign above said, trying to accentuate the positive.