Random thought thread!

I was coming to say the same thing. People who screw around don’t write it up for their spouses, unless it’s damage control from a drunken Facebook post or something. They just say, yeah, work is tough, gotta get back to it hun.

My (divorced) advice: Voice your concerns but don’t be an asshole about it. 17 years is a long time. It’s easy to get in a rut and get complacent about your relationship. Be honest and open about your feelings. Maybe she doesn’t always feel like she can bust loose when she is home among all of the responsibilities that entails.

Feeling love for your wife is fantastic, but demonstrating love is critical.

That’s good advice. :)

I was reading the Mass Effect look back article about problems with that five year project and scope and got to thinking a little bit about scope and just knowledge in general.

I didn’t want to post this there because it’s not really… game industry related but…

Sometimes the managers, project managers and executives just don’t understand. I remember such a group kept telling me that one of the hospital buildings for a client we took on was out of scope. They kept saying that over and over again; it’s out of scope don’t b ring it up. I finally picked up a piece of paper and asked them when was the last time they got a handwritten note as a statement from a clinic? When everyone quieted down and listened to me, I said that’s what’s going to happen if you don’t let our billing team get involved because the billing system that clinic sends to, we’re taking it down. They will have nothing to send to if we don’t build for them… They’re out of scope for the clinical applications but not the billing. That expanded scope, quite a bit, well beyond what I even considered actually because of how… complicated that clinic turned out to be… the problem was they didn’t have anyone with enough knowledge at the table when they scoped out the project to begin with.

I remember two profound examples of sitting a table and realizing I am the person with the most knowledge on the subject, and thinking… that can’t be right can it. The one above because, well I’ve never done a project like the one they’re talking about either but I have general knowledge about how billing offices work, functionally. The other was some sort of payor regulation that somehow I knew about but a room full of billing managers didn’t.

When I took this “IT” job a number of years ago, I had no idea I would shift from basically doing what i am told to do to to stopping other people and telling them no, no you can’t do that. That’s against industry regulations and standards. Who told you to do that?

I probably spend half my day not building in the system and just explaining policies and procedures they should already know about.

I feel this one! Happened to me pretty regularly in my last several years as a consultant, and again in the industry job I had next (with a couple of years in between for learning after the job switch). It’s a strange feeling, being the “IT person” and yet seeing holes in the plans being made by business folks or project managers. A lot of it simply boils down to having experience both in depth (such as your knowledge of regulations) and breadth (knowing about billing offices even though that’s not the project focus), but there’s also an aspect of being willing to look at the big picture. So many people are focused so tightly on their particular area that the obvious escapes them.

The random thought thread is a highly appropriate one for me, as I’m often consumed by completely random thoughts. Today I’ve got Casablanca on the mind - the movie, not the city. Anyway for whatever reason - well, not whatever reason, I mean it is one of my favorite movies - I’ve got just the whole damn thing on my mind. I love the characters, the visuals, the story, it’s such a wonderful accident of confluence of excellent factors.

For instance, people love to quote Renault’s being “shocked, shocked” to find out that gambling is occurring in a gambling establishment, but then forget the funniest part is what happens next - a croupier hands Renault a pile of bills with “Your winnings, sir” to which he replies, “Oh thank you” and pockets the money.

But to my mind, Casablanca still has probably one of the sickest burns I’ve heard. Peter Lorre’s character spends the movie skulking about trying to sell papers of transit that he killed a couple of German officers for. At one point he asks Rick, “You despise me don’t you?” To which Bogie responds, “If I gave you any thought, I probably would.”

The total eclipse is creeping closer, and I am plotting my way to see it.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

I’m at the edge of a day drive, getting to Carbondale or south of St Louis is about 4.5 hours for me. So my plan is, currently, take the day off and drive down in the morning. Eclipse start is like 4:30, totality around 6:30. So I am going to take the time to see weather reports for the sweep from St Louis to Land Between the Lakes and head down there. If clear in Carbondale that is my first choice.

This is the plan. It is almost here!

Remember how much older Barbara Bush looked than George? She just turned 92. Now she looks younger than him.

Two things that I thought when looking at those two pictures:

I wonder if she was wearing the same watch as well…

and

Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo

(and I realize that I messed up the second reference, but that’s what popped into my head)

Every day I get an email from Comixology with suggestions for comics they think I ought to try, and today the top of the list appears to be a comic called “Bitch Planet.” I honestly have no idea what to make of this.

It’s probably nicer than planet FUCK YOU

I actually skipped that thread entirely when I first saw it because I could make no sense of the thread title. So now I’ve read the review and couldn’t make much sense of it either. Some days I just feel old.

Welcome my friend. Here is your shawl, walker with tennis balls and a cup of tea with lemon. Feel free to yell at the kids on the lawn.

This certainly isn’t called the Random thought thread for nothing, is it?

You all have been stepping up your game lately, and I like it.

I can’t find a better thread in which to put this.

That’s great. Home confinement? The judge has a sense of humor.

Harcourt?!