Random thought thread!

Once I was served a big bloody meatball in China, about 4"-5" in diameter. Ok sure I’ll eat it. Then I find out it’s pork. I spit out what’s in my mouth. Then a vegetarian doctor I was with starts talking about how I’m fine but 10-15 years later I’ll start developing random muscle pains and various other nasty symptoms. Once in a while I remember it when random stuff starts hurting.

One of my uncles used to order steaks by saying knock its horns off, wipe it rear (polite word), and stick it on a plate. I find the idea pretty gross, but I do know a few who like to step a steak and just watch it bleed.

One of my aunts would eat raw hamburger too, like as she made hamburgers she would just pop some in her mouth… they’re still alive today. I guess just rolling the dice.

I enjoy a good carpaccio. I won’t eat tartare. The texture bothers me. But I’m sure that a tartare in a good restaurant is high quality. Ground beef from a supermarket can be many cuts of whatever. And the grinding cuts bacteria into the mix. No thanks.

If you’re gonna eat raw beef that’s ground up, you need to basically grind it up right before serving, otherwise you risk growing a big colony of bacteria in there.

Yeah, that’s why supermarket ground beef is always cooked well in my house. If we want med rare I grind it myself.

To be fair, eating “undercooked” or even raw pork isn’t all that dangerous if it comes from a modern hog farm.

The old stories about pork being potentially infected with the “cyst” worms mostly come from a time where farmers would toss carrion and discarded meat scraps to their hogs. This semi-rotten meat might contain the parasite, which the pigs would contract and we humans could get from the resulting pork. Nowadays, any large farm is feeding their pigs from purchased feed and there is virtually no chance that the animals could contract that type of parasite, and that’s where most supermarkets get their pork from.

Obviously all bets are off if you go with pork from some indie farmer down the road, but there are less than two cases per year of a human contracting Trichinella Spiralis; it’s not really a thing anymore. Cook your pork, but leave some pink in the middle – it’s delicious.

Of course, a decade ago in China? Yeah, I’d have been worried.

And are you even sure it’s pork?

One of my favourite photos from my vacation in China is of my cousin holding a fan of meat skewers we bought from a street vendor at a market in Nanjing.

“Those are lamb, right?”
“Yeah, sure. Or maybe rats on a stick”

Regardless, they were delicious, and I’m still here so we didn’t die from the street food.

It took Alton Brown saying that on his show to get my wife to agree to not make shoe leather out of any pork she cooks in our house.

The local newspaper just ran a story about a salmon sushi loving guy who had a 5 foot tape worm removed from his…well, you don’t want to know.

As long as it wasn’t his brains.
If you value your safety regarding raw fish, a good rule is to stick to the various sea breams variants, which are often less expensive, are hardly have any reported problems and are, to me, a lot tastier than many of the red fishes.
No way I ever eat any raw meat. I’ll patiently wait for the zombie apocalypse for that.

I would just like to say that 25 years later, autocorrect is still exactly this bad.

I was like 19 when I got my first apartment, and promptly went about learning how to go against everything my mother had taught me about cooking.

For instance, for years, I was under the impression that a steak should be done completely, through and through, to avoid getting sick.

When I accidentally under-cooked my steak, though, my first thought when I cut into it was, “Man, that needs to be done more.” But I didn’t feel like cooking it more, so I just ate it.

“Oh my God,” I thought. “This is fucking delicious!”

So I gradually began to under-cook my steaks more, and more, and more, finding that there was more flavor the less it was done.

I didn’t understand the law of diminishing returns, however. At some point, I went too far, and got really sick. I think it was more because I was grossed out by realizing how raw it actually was.

These days, I’m pretty much happy with anything from medium-rare to medium–well.

Can’t sleep again. The song Money for Nothing earworm time. So I did this.

Summary

I want my THC
(X 16)
Now look at them yo-yo’s that’s the way you do it
You grow the hydro for the THC
That ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it
Kind bud for nothin’ and your dabs for free
Now that ain’t workin’ that’s the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys ain’t dumb
Maybe get a blister on your thumb and finger
Maybe get a blister on your tongue

We gotta install the sun like light source
Custom sticky deliveries
We gotta move these drip regulators
We gotta move these plant IVs

(See the little faggot with the butane and the mark up
Yeah buddy that’s his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he’s a millionaire)

Gotta install the sun like light source
Custom sticky deliveries
Gotta move these plant IVs

I shoulda learned to mine the bitcoins
I shoulda learned to play them markets
Look at that mama, she got it stickin’ in the bowls
Man could we please have some
And he’s up there, what’s that? Hawaiian soil?
Hittin’ on the vape like a CPAP, see?
That ain’t smokin’ that’s the way you do it
Get your dabs for nothin’ get kind bud for free

Gotta install the sun like light source
Custom sticky deliveries
Gotta move these plant IVs

Look a’ here
You grow the plants for your THC
Hash oil for nothin’ and your hits for free
Hash oil for nothin’ and hits for free

Look at that, look at that

I want my, I want my, I want my THC
Hash oil for nothin’ and hits for free
(Fade)
I want my, I want my, I want my THC

How embarrassing.

I wrestled with where to put this, then I finally figured this is pretty darn random so here you go:

I just learned something I thought was kind of funny about the Wizardry series. Apparently for Wizardry 2, there was no character creator, you could only import them from the original game. Now what’s even funnier is that Wizardry games incorporate a kind of hardcore mode - if a character dies, it can be resurrected but you can’t just reboot an earlier save and try again. The remaining party must take the dead character back to a priest to do the resurrection. If your party wipes and you wanted to keep them or something they were carrying, you had to take a new party down in the dungeon to where they died and haul their carcasses back up.

But if you start a game in W2 with imported characters, it deletes them from the original Wizardry disk on import. So - if your party wipes in the sequel, you’ve got to start a new party back in the original game, build them up to be strong enough to survive the sequel, then import them to go find your original crew to take back for Resurrection.

You may be wondering, does Wizardry 3 continue this recursion? Not exactly, while it has no character creator you can import from the first game as well as the second. So there’s a measure of mercy I suppose.

Cool. Firing up the song to follow along.
Hey, at least you picked a decent song.
EDIT: Oh wait. HUNTING HITLER is on. Gonna have to do your song later.

I thought for sure they caught that guy…

I thought there was a clone or two in Brazil somewhere.

The fucker got away! And it’s Argentina according to these guys.

I thought the bionic commando got him! Warning: gruesome 8-bit graphics!

Probably a double. He had several.
I tell you, this show is on TOP of all this.
Just check out the reviews on Amazon. For best results, only read the 5-star reviews. Here’s one:

Don’t check your work email before going to bed at midnight on a Sunday night. It’s now 2:13am. :(