Random thought thread!

$900 for a brake job including rotors and 4 tires isn’t price gouging at least. Course it doesn’t look like they actually replaced your rotors now that I re-read part of your post. :/ Still within the realm of ok I guess.

They’ll be doing that separately; I’m going back in Saturday. So much for avoiding two trips.

Finished reading (and thank you for the informative and cool post!!!), and yeah, the alignment has also been a constant issue with this vehicle. I’ve had it done and redone at three different places, including the dealership, and no dice. Just won’t stay locked in for shit.

It’s also possible–nay, likely–that I am misremembering some or all of what they said, esp. with regards to the tire wear relation to the rotor issues. Again, super duper not a car guy, so I am a little helpless when dealing with mechanics, etc., which isn’t a position I love being in with anything. But I pay em to know what they’re talking about and try to stick to the reasonably well-reviewed ones in the hopes that they aren’t gouging the fuck out of me :(

They have to have the tires off when they replace the pads. LOL They need to learn to coordinate better.

They’re probably awaiting delivery on your tires.

I cannot let your beautifully-written and easy-to-understand post go sailing by without remarking on it, since you put a lot of effort into it. And yes, all of your information is exactly correct as I understand it. Well done.

Thanks!

So I bought a box of Girl Scout’s cookies yesterday, five dollars. I actually spent a number of years in the Girl Scouts myself, so I have some memory what the experience is to sell cookies although it sounds like the door to do thing is less prevalent now.

The thing is, when I asked for one box, the little girl immediately asked me if it was just the one, and then the adults took my cash and handed me the change. This seemed… odd to me. Part of the experience when I was in a Troop was having the adults watch us, but the girls did everything. Here they seemed more like window dressing and didn’t really participate in the transaction at all.

I was… disappointed, and not just because it’s now five dollars!

I wonder who makes the plasticware for Chipotle. I’d buy that stuff up by the truckload. Probably some deep corporate secret.

In our neighborhood, the girls usually come and ring the doorbell, make the pitch, and the parents usually wait on the sidewalk or the bottom of the stoop.

The older girls do it in a little gaggle of 3-4 girls sans adult supervision. I’m not sure if they’re all scouts, or if it’s just 3 girls helping their one friend.

That’s cool. If they are still letting the girls do it independently, that seems to serve the purpose better than what I saw.

You sound like my wife. We had a little girl and her father come to the front door and the father did everything. The little girl never said a word until the father told her to say thank you. My wife thought the girl should have said everything.

That’s the way it used to be. The parents, if they went, usually stayed at the sidewalk or in the back, and let the girls do everything, including counting money, taking checks or whatever. The exception were the Brownies because of their age. It was all part of the learning experience. If they took that part away… then what are they teaching these others than how to stand there and look cute or pretty to sell cookies to get somewhere between 60 and 90 cents a box?

I don’t know why I am paying almost twice the amount of other cookies if they’re not actually teaching the girls anything with this whole process, other than marking the end count on some roster.

Because buying those cookies funds Girl Scouts. Pretty much all of it.

You think the adults doing all the talking is bad @nesrie? How about the parents doing the selling with no Girl Scout even there? And here’s one step further than that! At my corporate office the CEO brought around a sign-up sheet to each person there asking if they were interested in purchasing Girl Scout cookies (about 20 people). I heard about it after the fact and was stunned at how inappropriate it was. I’m glad I wasn’t there or I would’ve said something and probably gotten fired.

That’s terrible. It feels like the selling of the cookies is now more important than the lessons that are supposed to come with selling those cookies. I mean sure some will take it to work (all my work places ban this practice now because parents were not… shall we say appropriate with their selling techniques), or sit in for a second… but if it was only about selling as many cookies as possible wouldn’t they just have an online store and glorified Girl Scout delivery people… like a green Lyft… but for cookies.

I appreciate the Girl Scouts but… this is supposed to be a big part of what being a Girl Scout means, this whole engage the public, learn to do this stuff which seems minor but for some girls might be the first time they try and do this whole business thing, even as small as it is. Unless you are in a Troop or connected to one, it might be the only time you even engage with Girl Scouts… and that’s not a good look.

Funny. I’ve never been in a corporate situation where this didn’t happen. Cookies, candy, tchotchkes. Avon. Hell even Amway and shit.

Ha ha, what? Did you laugh in their face?

I got roped into buying a $25 bag of caramel corn from some Boy Scouts at my local Safeway a while back. Jeez, I like to support a good cause and all that, but come on.

Need you ask? :)

In a way it always has been. Any charity that depends on one major fund raiser ends up putting a lot of pressure on that fund raiser.

Also, the good old days of any group of kids walking the neighborhoods selling something for their group has mostly come to an end. As someone whose kids sold all kinds of crap thru their school years I can affirm that parents do most of the selling. Either through work or by setting up tables and booths somewhere.

That’s sad. I still have my stuff deer, I think, for selling over a certain amount of cookies during the one year. I was pretty proud of that. It felt like those hours in front of a grocery store were totally worth it. I also learned a lot about neighbors my parents never associated with. I can tell you the names of two of my neighbors today.

Some day ask me about the time a girlfriend brought me to an Amway “meeting”.