Random thought thread!

People sometimes argue about who has the most violent sport. American football? English rugby? Nope. Italian calcio.

For decades, this violent match has resulted in severe injuries, including death. During the early decades, in order to encourage wagering and achieve a bettable winner, there were times when bulls would be ushered into the ring in hopes of adding confusion and inciting victory. The modern version of calcio has not changed much from its historical roots, which allow tactics such as head-butting, punching, elbowing, and choking. However due to often fatal injuries, sucker punches and kicks to the head are currently banned.[1] It is also prohibited for more than one player to attack an opponent. Any violation leads to being expelled from the game.

Lovely. The roofers are here. The house is 10 years old and the HOA says the shingles must be replaced. Much hammering and resounding thuds. Something in my kitchen cabinets does not like it. My dogs do not like it. And this is the quiet phase, the removal phase. Soon the pneumatic nailguns come out.

Thoughts and prayers people. They couldn’t hurt.

Holy crap, I’ve seen that done and missed the connection entirely. I thought it was one of those internet things like “woot.”

Voici!

You have my thoughts and my prayers but shouldn’t roofs last between 15 and 20 years, if not longer, not 10?

This is Florida. Shingles get pounded. We lost a few last hurricane season.

Oooh right. You show up in some of those what’s wrong with Florida topics sometimes and remind where you live. I guess there is no point in going with the expensive ones if they’re just going to fly off someday. Well I’ll still envy your warm location. I hope it all settles down for you again, soonish…

Is that a euphemism?

I hear Florida’s the place for hot shingles.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to get the shingles vaccine. My insurance covers it.

On Saturday, I looked outside and noticed our dog was fixated on something on top of our roof. I went to go look, and there were two ducks up there!

It made me think that, even though I understand on an intellectual level that ducks can fly, it always looks weird to see them anywhere other than on the ground or in the water.

sitting here baby sitting a server. I don’t control the change that was supposed to happen but if it screws up, it’s my application that will not do well. And it screwed up. Guess I get to do another 3AM babysit job. still waiting for a explanation as to why the change completely failed.

At least there are no real babies.

I’d take a baby at this point. 2nd day in a row, failure, and this team has no answers.

What was the “change that was supposed to happen” ?

We have a series of automated transfers that take place in the middle of the night. The two servers involved are different OS, one is Linux/Unix based and the other is Windows. This means the traditional software our system typically uses can’t complete the transfer because until recently we didn’t have the license required to do this cross OS transfer stuff until a couple of weeks ago. Evidently it’s not cheap.

Well because no one wanted to pay for that license at the initial go-live, we have kind of a middle-man process in place, and when something goes wrong on either side of the middle man or something with the middle man location itself is off… bad things happen. This has happened a few times… and the clean-up us manual and time intensive so the solution is… removed the middle-man! except…It’s been kind of a mess.

The good news is, not really for me, is I am the person who knows the most about the most important and unreliable application on that Windows server, so that’s why I am up during this process, making sure everything is where it needs to be and works despite these failures so our end-users experience no interruptions of work. Except for the fact that I will tell them process failed, they

I’m not a server person, and I’ve used some programs to do file transfers but this is the second health system I’ve worked at that has troubles with those two OS moving things between each other. It’s just something you assume has a natural and easy fix before you join the IT realm and see the down and dirty of it all.

Long story long, I’m going to have to do this again after we come up with a fix.

For @BrianRubin:

https://www.avclub.com/gorram-actually-predates-firefly-by-100-years-1825571344

Let’s not start any shit here

…huh.