Random thought thread!

I was just reading an interview with Steve Irwin where he said that the animals that scared him the most were parrots.

Was this a seance?

Where once I had a condom in my wallet, I now keep ā€œPre-Moistened Lens Wipes.ā€ Which I actually use.

Lens wipes have been proven to work poorly as birth control.

Then you arenā€™t using them right.

Youā€™re not wiping the right lenses.

https://i.imgur.com/SaeMFCS.jpg

Good old Army BCGā€™s.

So Iā€™m an idiot. I was playing Battletech and the wife and I went out for a smoke. When I returned my $3000 laptop was dead. No button pushing would work. I thought it was fucked. I couldnā€™t understand what had happened. It was fine before.

Turns out that I had, somehow, unplugged it earlier in the day. The wife saw that the power brick wasnā€™t lit. The light wasnā€™t glowing green. I was about to open it up to pull the battery. I was sure that I had a full charge. But I was actually running the game on the battery all day. It actually shut down at 18% charge. I am now a very happy person.

Thatā€™s what that noise I heard was. I could hear your sigh of relief from here.

Iā€™d tell you all a UDP joke, but you might not get it.

ack!

[packet padding]

I offer a customer review of The Story about Ping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2VDKZ4X1F992Q/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?tag=qt3-20

I salute you. But MAN do you have too much time on your hands.

Go play with the Tuscan milk reviews.

What? Iā€™m pretty sure I saw that on Bluenews back in the day.

Yeah, I think I read that Januaryā€¦ 26? 27? Pretty early in the year 2000, anyway.

Oh hell, I thought you wrote it, in which case I was going to praise you.
Instead, Iā€™ll just praise you for calling my attention to it. Good stuff.
Amazing how much technical information they can pack into a 32 page (illustrated!) book.

edit: Wait. Checked out the sample pages. Holy shit. I HAD that book as a kid!

Sorry, I thought you meant you had written it.

Somewhere I was having a discussion about Amazon Prime Music and free downloads. An example would be today. Iā€™ve been on a Warren Zevon kick lately. Today I downloaded five of his later albums for free. The albums were between $9.00 and $13.00. I guess I got ~$50.00 of music for free. That and my Jethro Tull downloads cover my Prime cost easily.

How do you do this? I would like to download free stuff. Iā€™m paying $14 per month for music and ebooks from them, on top of Prime.

I go to an artist. I look up an album. If it says play now, i click on it. It gives you a button to click on that says, in the upper left, add to your music. Meanwhile the first song will play. If itā€™s free you can send it to your choice of device. For me itā€™s my phone. Then I go to my phone and eventually it allows you to download the album. The button looks like a small half square with a down arrow? The second one from the left.