Random thought thread!

Given our current situation, I think I’d try to save the republic. Washington, Lincoln, and Jefferson. “Dudes, you would not fucking believe the shit we got going down right now.”

Jesus, Mohammed, and Buddha. Let’s get together and fix the world’s religions.

I like to imagine that night is one continual stream of disbelief ‘they say I said what?!

Jesus, Genghis Khan, and Terry Pratchett.

Jesus convinces Genghis Khan to use his evil powers for good. Terry Pratchett is just for my amusement.

I would ask three Benjamin Franklins. It’s all about the Benjamins.

Click all the images that are signs. Click all the images that are cars.

Whatever algorithm is behind this CAPTCHA i fail it (or are not human enough) 99% of the time. It will take me 10-15 minutes to get approved (obviously, i’m working on it now and am frustrated).

All of this talk about sitting around and talking to corpses in your house is starting to freak me out.

Wise bartender willing to commiserate with me and share his own stories, arrogant chef making me dine on things he likes to prepare, and explaining why they are sublime (in his or her opinion), and lovely girlfriend for companionship, conversation, all the hugging, etc.

I recently ran across this the other day for the first time. Maybe while trying to get back on Origin so i could load a game. Anyway, I fail about 50% of the time with it.

Failure rate for CAPTCHA’s.

According to the James Beard awards presented yesterday, the best restaurant in America is Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama. Am I misremembering, or does @Jason_McMaster live in Birmingham? Have you eaten at this place if so?

We have a lot of highly acclaimed restaurants here. Stitt owns a few other than Highlands. Been a long time since his last award so I’m sure he’s happy.

I went to Culinary School here as well.

Not to be a downer, but still…

I have anxiety and depression issues. So if you come to the house and you’re not an expected Amazon box, I may very well not answer the door. Even if the dogs are barking and you hear my TV or music playing. You choose to bother me. I choose to open, or not open my door. If I’m not there in ten seconds, go away.

But I had brownies!

Actually sounds nice. But I still would have ignored a giant crustacean with brownies.

A serious question. That might be a poll someday. Do you feel obligated to answer your door? Or even your phone? Are we obligated to answer them?

Answer the door? Oh hell no, it’s usually just a package from Amazon. In fact, other than expected personal visitors or a delivery person, these are the people that have knocked on our door or rang the doorbell in the past three years since we moved into our condo:

• A real estate agent that lives in the complex, wanting to sell our place (x3)
  • The police (x3)
  • Someone selling girl scout cookies

I think that’s about it.

Dude… naw, you’re right.

Having more or less lived in either extremely remote abodes or apartments/condos in locked buildings the majority of my life, I have very little experience with out-of-the-blue door-knocking. The sole exception is pretty much college, of course, where RAs and friends would sometimes come a-knocking (but even they lived in those buildings with me; outsiders still would have to get past a security guard at minimum), but that’s about it. Nowadays anyone who wants in has to call.

Really, in the era of the cellphone, the idea of showing up unannounced at someone’s door strikes me as unnecessary and obnoxious at best, and potentially surprising/terrifying at worst. (I count being a delivery person as being announced; someone paid you to go there, after all)

So, to that end, I do feel obligated to answer my door, since realistically, anyone at it probably has a really compelling reason to be there.

Now, answer phone? If I’m not in the midst of a job hunt or otherwise reaching out into the void in search of a response, I don’t answer calls from unknown numbers. And I like talking on the phone–it’s not an anxiety thing. Just that in my experience, 99% of unknown numbers are either my doctor’s office robocalling me about an appointment I arrived at 5 minutes prior (my doctor’s office kinda sucks) or just spam/scam callers.

Agree that there’s no reason not to announce yourself in the age of cell phones. After we moved to the suburbs, I used to feel guilty not answering the door when it was clear that I was home (garage door open with my car in it, me watching TV visible from the street, etc). But the only people who visit without me knowing about it ahead of time are people who want to sell me something. And man, if I want solar roofing, I’ll figure out how to buy solar roofing. I don’t need you offering it to me.

I read that as ‘extremely remote adobes’. Now I wonder if I’m vaguely racist.