Random thought thread!

That’s gerbils, not mice.

I just got an email from Gamespot that included this image:

Now is it just me, or is Lara Croft turning into Melania Trump?

What sort of birthday gift are you supposed to buy for a little girl who is just about the most pampered and grossly spoiled child in the history of mankind, and one whose destined to inherit so many of her mom’s most damning negative traits that you mourn every person that is bound to come into her orbit at any point past her teens?

Some kind of survival boot camp?

A copy of “The Taming of the Shrew”?

I’be actually checked a few times to see if any of the local theaters are doing a production of it so I can take my wife to it…

That’s hilarious. You know the Burton-Taylor version isn’t that bad. They are old for the parts, but its a good film.

EDIT: My wife would get shrewish with me if I even suggested seeing it (reading between the lines on my suggestion).

For a milder version, watch Kiss Me Kate.

I don’t really understand how it can be used like that, given that it surely depends on the insulation of each particular building. I certainly don’t need to turn on heating (other than my heat recovery unit, which runs all the time for ventilation purposes) below 65F. I don’t generally turn the heating on until below 40F, and often not even then, the insulation and heat recovery is so good.

Although I’m fond of highly-detailed flight sims, I find the community incredibly annoying. There was someone on the DCS forums the other day who complained that he “couldn’t” fly the DCS Harrier because the inertial navigation system comes pre-aligned (for now), and so doesn’t take five to ten minutes of sitting on the pad waiting for gyros and whatnot to line up.

So I got to thinking of ways to stick it to the flight sim nerds who are nerdier than me, insisting that a sim is not complete until every little thing is modeled, and I hit upon a pretty great one. Apparently, the MiG-15/17/19 series had a design flaw. After one of those MiGs used about half its internal fuel, the vacuum pulled by its fuel pumps was sufficient, in some occasional cases, to implode the its tanks. Fuel would then leak from the crushed tank to the engines. From the pilot’s perspective, the plane just randomly explodes.

Now that would lead to some great forum exchanges.

“I was just flying along, and suddenly, out of nowhere, my MiG-19 blew up!”
“Shrug. Sorry, it’s realistic.”

When will people learn that if they get a dog, they can’t leave it alone in a house all fucking day? There are at least three houses in my neighborhood where dogs yelp and cry all day. They are pack animals. They need to socialize. Poor damn doggos.

Jesus. I assume they caught this during testing and fixed the problem before it went into production. Right?
I actually know almost zero about the subject, so I found this interesting.

The early MiGs. The Pinto of the skies. :)

In my neighborhood, they leave them outside in the yard, so it’s even worse (incessant barking). OTOH, I guess it’s better for the dog not to be cooped up in a house, but it drives me nuts. I’ve actually written them letters of complaint, threatening to call the cops, but it didn’t help. I didn’t call the cops either, for fear of what might happen to the dogs if I did. Eventually, those neighbors all moved away, and it’s quiet around here again.

We have a doggie door so the dog goes out to inspect the yard, do her business, and them come back in. What’s funny is when there’s an intruder alert in the neighborhood and the dogs start barking that special bark. Our dog will hear that and dash outside to join in the din. Of course she doesn’t know what it is, but she’s got to be a part of the pack.

I need @krayzkrok to help explain the friendly crocs of Paga

How is this possible? Are they just feeding them so much, they leave humans alone?

Thanks for such a great answer! You’re the expert! I still would be wary around wild animals. You can never tell when they’re going to get pissed off!

I was holding my breath, awaiting the horrible finale.

That just seems dumb. If I’m a croc, I might bite someone just for laying on me.

That seems the proper approach. They will act on instinct, and if they get spooked for any reason, you might get the bad end of flight or fight.