Random thought thread!

Physically I don’t think you can. You wouldn’t find me sitting on a croc though. I also wouldn’t have one of the what, 5,000 tigers we have floating around in the USA either. Just think, you could have a an exotic animal as a neighbor and just never know it.

His mother, Martha Yates, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child. (She had been baby-sitting in the apartment.)

I am just going to say out-loud what I said when I read that: Holy shit!

Or a haggis. Trust me.

Thanks for that and all the other great answers to croc questions. I also got a kick out of seeing you quoted as a crocodile expert/voice of reason in a number of international articles about that taunting dog that was recently eaten.

(Example: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/06/crocodile-eats-beloved-terrier-spent-decade-taunting/ edit: beware an autoplaying video / NSFL, etc. )

You should put a NSFL auto playing horror warning on that link. I’m going to go hug my dogs now.

Sorry, I didn’t watch a video, just read the article.

This reminded me of this classic Wild Kingdom moment. Looks a bit staged now 40 years later. Sorry, that’s a bear because I cannot find the one where they got into some trouble with a croc. IIRC, they had it all tranquilized and stretched out on a small boat. Stan or whoever it was got on its back to tag it or something, and the croc woke up, and just decided to leave. He got up with Stan still on his back, and simply walked off the boat. It was quite funny.

More croc stuff!

That’s pretty cool, but familiar characters dressed up in 1500s Korean clothes > familiar characters dressed up in 1500s European clothes.

Why don’t we make chainmail out of mosquito mesh? AC 5 Vs. Mosquitoes and Ticks.

Anyone else notice that Oscar Acosta looked just like Babe Ruth?

So my cube mate at the office has a big container of candy, the little single servings of Butterfinger and Snickers and the like. And I just pulled out a little mini Twix and was in the process of opening it when I saw that, at the top it says in big red letters, “LEFT.” And I think to myself no, I’m not going to give this a moment’s thought.

And now it’s ten minutes later, and I’m trying to figure out what this means. Are Twix in the full package different? Is there a distinct left and right in terms of ingredients or something that I never picked up on, in all these years of eating junk? What’s it all about, huh?

They’re totally identical. Twix has an ironic ad campaign right now pretending like people hold passionate opinions about whether the (identical) left or right Twixes are better.

Ah, of course, they got me. Well played, candy makers.

Edit: had to eat a “right” Twix bar just so we could be sure. You know, for science! Anyway, tastes the same.

ambien-walrus-and-the-cookies

Freak out in front of him about it. How can you have Left Twixts in there? The left side is called sinister for a reason! Are you a Satanist?

I might have to abandon my little electronics project in favor of becoming a patent law reformer.

I mean, I knew that patent examiners let some seriously questionable claims past in my field, software, but like a chump I figured that they were probably better at physical sciences. Nope! There’s a patent on figuring out the density of a fluid by weighing the liquid a known volume displaces. Prior art? I dunno, maybe Archimedes? Is that too old?

Random hate of the week: Guys who wear flip flops on airplanes. I don’t care if you wash them and clip your toenails. They’re still hairy and ugly and I don’t appreciate having to look at them for 2 and 1/2 hours.

Call the police on them.