Random thought thread!

Craft Brewer Firestone Brewery makes a beer called 805 (phone area code) that locals now pretty much call the Coors of Craft beer.

I remember that too. I remember a friend bringing some back from Colorado being a big deal.

Okay that overhead Google shot of Heathrow in the video looks like there are a bunch of fields nearby. For the kind of money they’re talking about, wouldn’t it be cheaper in the long run to buy up those fields (if they don’t own them already), buy up any remaining buildings and property, and build some more damn runways?

That’s what our two local hospitals have been doing here for decades. They don’t force anyone out (so far - would eminent domain even apply for a private hospital?), but they actively purchase any land they can to either expand one of the hospitals, or build a parking lot. I often wished I was a property owner in that neighborhood.

Edit: Oh waitaminnit. Who is getting paid those $75,000,000 sums? The airport? In that case, why would they expand when they’re sitting on that gold mine?

I never been to London, but my bet is Heathrow is really close to downtown and the flight path is over fancy neighborhoods that don’t want any more airplanes overhead.

That makes sense I guess.
Then move the whole damn airport further out of town?
lol I have no idea what that area looks like - there may not be an out of town nearby; never been there.

I used to live walking distance from LaGuardia. I’ve actually walked to my home from the airport. It’s not very easy because the highways are not designed to accomodate pedestrian navigation. Not doing that again.

Anyway, i think people like LGA because if there’s no traffic you can get to the village in 15 minutes. If they live in Long Island I assume that’s also convenient for them.

The other regional airports are JFK which is kinda a pain to get to (lots of traffic) and Newark which is in freaking New Jersey. I mean sure I could fly to Newark but it’s currently… 1 hours drive away from me. Fuck that.

The problem with building an airport in the middle of nowhere is indeed that it’s in the middle of nowhere.

Good point. Or conversely, even if you do build an airport in the middle of nowhere, a city would likely spring up all around it. :)

Heh. I’ve done that as well, but here in Bismarck, where it’s slightly less hectic. And, as you say, even then…

So Discourse allows you to download a whole thread, right? I decided to read a large potion of this thread and it is, in certain areas, hilarious. I’d love to download and print the whole thing. Then bind it in a book form.

Jesus. Think of the trees, man!

I am Rich. I speak for the paper!

It’s not, it’s about 10-15 miles west of downtown but still surrounded by residential areas.

This is true, but otherwise LGA seems to be the USA’s Third World airport. I do a lot of business traveling and LGA, or at least the concourse in Terminal B that Southwest uses, is a solid contender for most abysmal terminal in the country. Of, and if there’s traffic, that 15 minutes can easily balloon to over an hour.

I think, with their new Avalon, the Toyota design team has achieved the ugliest grille since Acura’s pumpkin tooth.

grille

That design is called The Groucho Marx.

I can see it.

While talking with @ChristienMurawski today Jimmy Stewart came up, in a passing way. Whenever I think of Jimmy Stewart I then remember that the guy was a freaking American Hero:

Some Highlights:

• On March 22, 1944, Stewart flew his 12th combat mission, leading the 2nd Bomb Wing in an attack on Berlin. On March 30, 1944, he was sent to RAF Old Buckenham to become group operations officer of the 453rd Bombardment Group, a new B-24 unit that had just lost both its commander and operations officer on missions. To inspire the unit, Stewart flew as command pilot in the lead B-24 on several missions deep into Nazi-occupied Europe. As a staff officer, Stewart was assigned to the 453rd “for the duration” and thus not subject to a quota of missions of a combat tour. He nevertheless assigned himself as a combat crewman on the group’s missions until his promotion to lieutenant colonel on June 3[44] and reassignment on July 1, 1944, to the 2nd Bomb Wing, assigned as executive officer to Brigadier General Edward J. Timberlake. His official tally of mission credits while assigned to the 445th and 453rd Bomb Groups was 20 sorties.

• Stewart continued to go on missions uncredited, flying with the pathfinder squadron of the 389th Bombardment Group, with his two former groups and with groups of the 20th Combat Bomb Wing. He received a second award of the Distinguished Flying Cross for actions in combat and was awarded the French Croix de Guerre. He also was awarded the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters.

• At the beginning of June 1945, Stewart was the presiding officer of the court-martial of a pilot and navigator who were charged with dereliction of duty for having accidentally bombed the Swiss city of Zurich the previous March—the first instance of U.S. personnel being tried for an attack on a neutral country. The court acquitted the defendants.

• Stewart rarely spoke about his wartime service, but did appear in January 1974 in an episode of the TV series The World At War, “Whirlwind: Bombing Germany (September 1939 – April 1944)”, commenting on the disastrous mission of October 14, 1943, against Schweinfurt, Germany. At his request, he was identified only as “James Stewart, Squadron Commander” in the documentary.

Link is time stamped to relevant section

• On July 23, 1959, Stewart was promoted to brigadier general. During his active duty periods, he remained current as a pilot of Convair B-36 Peacemaker, Boeing B-47 Stratojet and Boeing B-52 Stratofortress intercontinental bombers of the Strategic Air Command. On February 20, 1966, Brigadier General Stewart flew as a non-duty observer in a B-52 on an Arc Light bombing mission during the Vietnam War. He refused the release of any publicity regarding his participation, as he did not want it treated as a stunt, but as part of his job as an officer in the Air Force Reserve.

One of may favorite story’s about General Stewart. He was at some dinner event with Ronald Reagan. The event’s MC introduced Stewart as Brigadier General Stewart. When Reagan spoke, he said the MC was wrong – that it was actually Lieutenant General Stewart. After the event, Stewart and Reagan had this exchange:

Stewart: “That fellow was right. It’s really Brigadier General.”
Reagan: “Then why didn’t you correct me?”
Stewart: “I would have, but it sounded so good when you said it!”

IIRC President Reagan promoted him to MG while retired as an honor.

My wife watched Mama Mia about seventeen times this weekend so I’ve got like an endless ABBA concert going on in my head. Luckily I appreciate their songs, but we’ll see how long that lasts.