Random thought thread!

If I don’t hear them too often, I still love me some ABBA.

They’re lip-synching of course (Benny and Bjorn quite poorly), but who cares? Still fun to watch.

I just discovered that I’m a Xennial:

Nobody wants to be a millenial.

It’s weird, you guys grew up being Gen Y, and somehow it got rebranded into millennial after the internet.

I don’t get the “Generation Catalano” reference, what does that mean?

I must admit I like the Oregon Trail reference.

Wow, I figured it had to do with Jared Leto’s character in My So Called Life and apparently that’s right. I never really watched it but for some reason I remember the name.

I consider it a solemn duty to post this gif wherever Oregon Trail is being discussed.

I guess I just proved the point, eh? Clearly not a member of that generation.

I never claimed it was animated.

It was implied. My state has an implied warranty law. Don’t make me sue you.

My So Called Life was good, ok?

OK, I am no conspiracy theorist, and I live in the modern age, but I still get the heebie jeebies when this pops into my email inbox:

Participate in genetics research!

It’s only fair that you do it and report back to us so the hivemind can assess.

Well… if he is still able.

One of the arguments used for building high speed rail here, and spending a ridiculous amount of money to do it, is that increasing the size and traffic of airports such as LA and SF have is very expensive and nearing capacity.

You can only have so many planes flying in the same airspace at the same time I guess.

I remember flying out of Gatwick back in 1980. It can’t be that far from London? Is it too busy as well.

The government division that I am supporting (i.e., contracting for) is in rough shape. Their scope has been shrunk, the leadership has been looted by other groups, and our user-base isn’t too fond of our work. So morale is low.

But we have a new government honcho, and he is a big fan of “team-building activities” to raise people’s spirits. Today is Hawaiian day, where we’re having a BBQ and everyone is supposed to be wearing floral shirts. The problem is that these are all insular developers and they don’t actually OWN any floral shirts… or perhaps I should say they don’t own any bright floral shirts. In my opinion, a black shirt with dark gray swordfish on it doesn’t count as “tropical”.

Anyway, wandering around the office, I am constantly reminded of the classic Simpsons episode:

My last day on this project is in two weeks.

Music has been a strong proxy for identity for a very long time. The old “anything but rap and country” identifies one as a certain socioeconomic position as much as it means anything about musical tastes.

It probably has something with the personal interiority of music (taking place mostly between your own ears), as well as the availability of portable /personal listening devices. I wonder if the ubiquity of personal video devices (i.e. phones) will lead to a similar impact on video.

So Ring doorbell has a beta feature where you see shared doorbell videos of anyone within X miles. I’ve been noticing they only ever post hispanic and black people. I live near one of the few red pockets in NYC.

There’s a young Hispanic girl that is ringing doorbells. The titles are:

“Who is this: suspicious”

The funny thing is nobody actually seems to ever … answer the doorbell to see what the girl wants.

My personal guess is she’s just canvassing for Ocasio. This is NY14.

I don’t answer the phone if I don’t recognize the number and often I don’t answer the front door. It doesn’t matter who they are. If I didn’t ask them to come to my house, or call my house, I have no obligation to respond to them.

And they had better stay off my lawn.

As an aside, it is pretty much a given that we will break the local record for the number of days in a row where the temperature has topped 100. Probably about the middle of next week we will break the old record of 26 days. It is supposed to be 105-107 until then.

I canvassed for Obama in 2008 and if no one seemed to be looking I walked on many lawns!