Random thought thread!

Yeah I am pretty terrible at lying myself. When I do it, it’s not usually on purpose. I have seen others do, shall we say better, because they just make shit up and try not to take responsibility. Sometimes that doers backfire though.

For the sprinkler, school just started. It probably was just some kid walking by and thinking hey that looks interesting. I’d rather lose that than have someone break into my car though! I’m glad I didn’t buy this really cool artistic sprinkler made out of copper. I remember thinking some jerk would take that sprinkler and junk it for the copper if I left it out.

I was listening to the radio this morning and AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds” came on. I love how odd this song is, the way he just seems to be rattling off random numbers when he’s giving his phone number (“three six, two four, three six … eight”) and how his making a case to be a badass hitman just makes him sound like a really lonely guy who could use some companionship (“pick up the phone, I’m always home” and “pick up the phone, I’m here alone”).

And, just a few lines deeper into the song, we discover how faulty hearing can lead to a lawsuit! According to a story appearing in the Chicago Tribune back in 1981, a couple from Libertyville, Illinois sued Atlantic Records because they claimed that their phone number had been included in the song’s lyrics. The offending portion? “Pick up the phone, I’m always home/Call me any time/Just ring 36-24-36, hey!” The White family insisted the “hey” was an “8,” thus comprising the misconstrued “362-4368.” Apparently, the hundreds of prank callers just miraculously knew the proper area code.

https://www.axs.com/ac-dc-s-sheep-and-25-other-hilariously-misconstrued-lyrics-74394

So a six digit phone number? Sure, I’ll buy that.

36/24/36. Female measurements. A joke. Maybe he is very lonely.

Does sound more along AC/DC’s style that way.

Edit: and I’ve always been fond of,
“Dirty deeds
And the Dunder Chief”

I always heard “Thunder King”, myself. Very Tolkien, I thought.

People might hate Peter Jackson’s LotR movies. Sure, there’s a lot to criticize. However, there’s enough that I love to forgive the bad. Such as:

Such a great scene.

I always heard Hotel California as “What a nice surprise, when you’re out of ice.”

And I always thought Joan was using the F word instead of “touch”.

I wonder why?

I would so play the game, The Kvetcher starring Gevalt of Richtikeh.

At the risk of turning this into a movie thread, I didn’t think a large number of people hate the LoTR movies. Perhaps you’re thinking of the Hobbit movies?

Hm, maybe you’re right. I do get an impression that some people hate them, though. Maybe I was conflating the vitriol (some of which is very just) for The Hobbit movies with the LotR movies? Or maybe I hang with a lot of people who hate stuff that is popular.

There was a whole contingent of folks who hated the films because they didn’t stick exactly to Tolkien’s text. I remember one guy actually stating that Jackson was a hack because he had Gollum slipping instead of tripping at the end or tripping instead of slipping. I forget which. As if it matters.

Oh, I’m sure some people (e.g., the folks Jason mentioned) hated them. There’s always some haters for anything. I just don’t think it’s a statistically significant number for the LotR movies. Note that I’m not saying everyone loves them, but I think people mostly either generally loved them or, at worst, thought they were okay. I think it’s one of the best movie trilogies out there, up there with the original Star Wars (and frankly more consistent than those). The Hobbit is a whole other bag.

I don’t really like the LOTR movies, mainly because I’ve read the books several times since I was a young boy, and the movies just don’t look much like my mental image of things. Normally this isn’t a problem for me, I can hold a film and it’s book source as two different things to be appreciated on their own terms, but I find LOTR to be too jarring somehow. I have this sort of stylized mental image of things, kind of based on the illustrations on the book cover and a few on the inside - in my mind, things probably seem a little more comic book-y than the more earthy and somewhat realistic version Jackson put to film. I recognize that probably sounds strange, but whaddayagonnado.

Well, the LOTR movies did have critics at the time, but once the Hobbit trilogy came out and showed how absolutely horrible the LOTR adaption COULD have been, I suspect quite a few of those critics have calmed down a bit…

Quality is all relative!

Probably this. LoTR is a generally well-received and well liked movie, so much so they keep trying to do something like it again and failing.

The Hobbit… eeeh. And that’s from someone who kind of likes it.

Weird question, but has anyone caught and watched the YouTube preroll ad for that Purple seat cushion, starring Ryan Stiles (currently on Whose Line is it Anyway and formerly of the Drew Carey Show)? The ad itself is a fun watch because he does a lot of characters and all but I’m wondering if anyone’s heard if the cushion things are any good.

I mean their ads are certainly a cut above. I’ll give them that.

No idea on the product.

I haven’t seen that one but I’ve seen a bunch of their mattress commercials on YouTube. I like the one with the Bigfoot family.