Random thought thread!

The #1 (note: not my favorite) sign that I am getting crankier as I get older: I think the current deluge of “favorite X” or “list you number X Z” threads clutters up the board. I come here for the beret-and-monocle wearing pretentious armchair analysis, not QtBuzzfeed.

I can deal with those because at least folks are providing some context. What bugs me is threads that are just lists of “top five whatever” with no explanation. Those are the most useless posts evar.

You know how, if you repeat a word enough, it loses its meaning? A word that this happens to very quickly is gavel. How many times can you repeat gavel before it seems like a nonsense word? Gavel?

Rich, turn of that Judge Judy marathon and take a walk.

People’s Court. It’s raining. :)

Hm, makes sense to stay indoors then. Court’s adjourned, I guess.

That is literally true.

tree
tree
tree

Every time I am forced against my will to do maintenance on this iOS app at work, I am reminded just how miserable the Apple developer experience is, to the point that I have to remind myself that this is somehow a successful mobile platform.

The development environment is only marginally less useless than Notepad. The structure of an application’s source code is asinine, duplicative, and impossible to get a good sense for. The deployment-to-production process is something out of a mad scientist’s fever dream.

In short, Android may have been behind at first, but in terms of developer experience, they aren’t merely ahead, they’re operating on an entirely different plane of existence, one where developer time is important, and the tools are made to actually help you get your job done.

Which brings me to:
The Loudest Musical Instrument Ever Constructed

From this page:

Oh, and here’s a list from the operator’s manual of all the stops.

I’m beginning to think that buying whole, peeled brazil nuts at $8.98 a pound is a far better deal than buying them in the shell for $2.98.

I remember as a kid someone having Brazil nuts at the holidays. Shelling them was a pain.

I remember seeing a blue macaw at a pet store. He leaned down and picked up a Brazil nut from his dish and crushed it in his beak like it was nothing.

Staring at you the entire time, I imagine. Followed by a “that could’ve been your head(?maybe?)” squawk.

If you could just harness that energy, you’d be rich!

1. Buy Brazil Nuts in the Shell
  2. Encourage a bunch of macaws to crush stuff in their jaws
  3. Profit!

Tie a noose around the neck like they do those fishing commorans or something? I assume profit??? Involved not having to Shell the nuts oneself.

At this specific point in time, I firmly believe that the most purely perfect pop song is “Just What I Needed” by The Cars.

I would choose “Pulling Mussels from the Shell”

This may be the most Australian story I have ever seen.