Random thought thread!

Trust me. Battery failure often has nothing to do with ambient temperature.

I know virtually nothing about laptops. :(

But I know you should not poke any holes in batteries, despite the very tempting bulges in the sides. LCD screens only!

I don’t know anything about batteries either, but it sure looks like something I wouldn’t want to find in anything I own.

Replaced one like that in a two year old XPS.

How do they come up with drug names? I don’t mean the name we all see. The actual drug nomenclature. Some seem reasonable. Others are letter salad. Any Ideas?

adalimumab
tofacitinib
leflunomide

When a drug is first discovered, it is given a chemical name, which describes the atomic or molecular structure of the drug. The chemical name is thus usually too complex and cumbersome for general use.

Two of the drugs you listed are actually biologic antibodies while the third is a small molecule chemical. Both antibodies and small molecules have their separate naming conventions based on their origin or structure. My understanding is that, unlike newly discovered animals which the discover(s) have a say in the new scientific name, antibodies and drugs nomenclatures are pretty defined.

For example:

I had issues today.

Thanks for your replies. Very interesting.

I have been in the room for some hilariously painful discussions over what drug INN should be requested. My perennial suggestions of flopsiwopsimab and fuzziwuzzimab always go unheeded. But to be fair, the FDA and its counterparts reject names for amazing reasons, like “it sort of rhymes with this other company’s drug’s name and could be taken as a claim to have an effect with this other unrelated disease.”

This is gonna bother me if I don’t ask. Ok so this haircut looks frumpy now. Did it look frumpy back THEN too???

Oh yeah, a glammed-up Lucille Ball, totally the definition of frumpy.

well you know, when I google lucille ball that was the first pic. But when I picture her in my mind’s eye, what pops up is her in rollers.

Wait so the TV was in black and white, but the magazine covers were in color?

Even in the early 1930s color printing was not common. By the time that I Love Lucy was televised it was much more common but not ubiquitous.

Lots of frumpy styles in the 40s and 50s. Not sure what the vintage folks like about them TBH. The 20s and 30s (or even before that) were much nicer.

Even in the 1960’s, when color printing had become more common, it still wasn’t quite universal. Sad sack Cleveland Browns fan that I am, I saved the issue of Sports Illustrated from when they won their last championship: 1964. The cover photo and all the photos from the game are in black and white. Inside was a long spread from the publisher explaining that they assigned their cameras with color film to the team they expected to win and their black and white cameras to the other team. The Browns were big underdogs to the Colts, so they wound up having to use all the black and white photos. The publisher’s spread also showed a number of color covers that had been worked up and never used because of upsets, including one of Sonny Liston who was supposed to beat that loud-mouth youngster, Cassius Clay.

Thanks to a text message from a generous stranger I have received 12 bitcoins! Lucky me.

Need I add a /s?

Yesterday my kids and I went out to have some fun in the snow, and they started piling up a bunch of snow to make what I thought was going to be a snowman. But it turned out to be a mound with a hole that my son kept urging me to stick my arm in:

And in the back of my mind I’m thinking that my kids had created the stump monster from Flash Gordon and they were testing me.