Random thought thread!

I knew you’d come through, Rich!

Watching that first one, I actually said, “Oh my God” aloud. I wonder how far she fell. She seemed to disappear into eternity.

I did not know this was an actual thing. And, like bungee jumping or sky diving, I am certain to never try it. This is why we have video games.

So like an idiot, I went looking for more zip line fails.
Found some.

But that led me to to this video, which is a collection of people coming close to dying while doing things. Apparently, these kinds of videos are really popular, and yet somehow I haven’t thought to look for them.

Anyway, holy shit, some really scary stuff here, starting from the very opening scene.
And some guy on a bicycle comes this close to being impaled on a fence.
Also, I could have predicted that harassing a bear on snowmobiles is not a great idea.
I got vertigo at the hang gliding part.

Not for the faint of heart, which is me. I mean, I can watch action films all night long no problem, but this real life stuff gets to me.
Except for the snowmobilers harassing the bear. I was actually hoping the bear would injure one of them. No excuse for doing that kind of shit.

Ah! Insomnia sometimes drops you a nugget.

The full description of my life. Living or dead:

I’m in the middle of something I just don’t understand.

Ooff, those are tough to watch. Definitely don’t do home-style zip lining, no matter your weight.

If anyone is in the Frederick or even NOVA, River Riders are good. They size everything, you are never on the line by yourself, guides are totally professional but also extremely goofy. They seem to specialize in raunchy WV-hick jokes :)

Tosh.0 and Ridiculousness often have Web videos of this sort. The shows are kind of mean, though, so you may not like them.

Depends on who they’re being mean toward. If they’re directing their meanness toward innocent people or animals, I’ve definitely got no time for that.

However, if it’s directed at people who should know better (such as people knowingly engaging in risky behavior), or people being mean themselves, then I’d be curious enough to take a look if you’ve got a link to something you find interesting.

Factorio is a game in which you occasionally build an enormous factory in between bouts of forgetting where you parked your car.

I had friends explain to me this past weekend what the difference is between a nerd and a geek and after those explanations it was decided I was both, but not super strong in either sphere.

Since I have fandom and I do fan like things, I am a geek, but I don’t really care what the name of the ice planet it, what class of ship the Defiant was nor do I know about the name of those pale horse things in Harry Potter.

I am a nerd because I play with computers, the hardware, and do things like fix all my co-workers monitors when the desktop team plugged them in backwards, I also ask things like where their repeater is because we’re only getting two bars on their TV, but apparently it’s fine because the movie buffered only one, and they also ask me for excel formulas. I am not nerd enough though to do anything with Raspberry Pi and while I will read about interesting things in science, it’s rear that I am going to spend much time reading about a satellite nor have I spent any amount of time trying to memorize any length of numbers for pi… ever.

Someone posted this the last time I brought the topic up:

So my random thought is what websites are in people’s daily clicks? For me it’s minimal. I go here, Google News, and ESPN.com.

The first two can launch me into a thousand different sites if I’m so inclined, but they serve my basic needs for web fellowship, gaming news and opinion, and general news. ESPN is for my interest in sports.

The only other site I visit with frequency is my local newspaper site, but they put up a partial paywall so they have discouraged me.

At times I have frequented other sites but most of those have fallen away. I seem to get all I need of gaming information here and all I need of general news from Google, and ESPN takes care of my sports interest. I probably need a new passion or two in my life.

I look at news feeds on my phones, or research programming/web design topics or topics about games I’m having issues with. Not much else.

I don’t read paper magazines much anymore either. I can’t focus or I lose interest. I do read random Wikipedia articles if they are linked to from here.

Yeah, same. That kind of reading I do on the web. I might read part of an article in a doctor’s office or waiting for a haircut, but usually I do something with the my phone or read my Kindle.

My GF still buys women’s interest magazines. She likes them so gets them from time to time. I never buy any magazines.

If we still had phone-book sized Computer Shopper or the old 200 page gaming mags, I’d get them, but they are gone, gone, gone sadly. I still miss the holiday issues of the gaming mags that were 300+ pages.

I have some paper magazines by the toilet, but usually don’t spend much time in there (unless I’m sick, which does happen occasionally).

Pretty much here and the subreddit(s) for whatever I’m currently interested in - right now that’s usually starting in r/games, making a stop in on r/ffxiv, then heading over to r/homelab to get some ideas for the setup I’ve just started putting together in the basement. ESPN used to be a daily for me but I’ve more or less cut them out of the rotation because of Google News bubbling up info on the teams I’m interested in and The Athletic’s daily articles (add them too, I suppose, though it’s click through via email digest and not direct).

Geek = circus/sideshow character. Noted for biting the heads off chickens

Nerd = anyone Donald Gibb screams at in “Revenge of the Nerds”

I got a random question for you geeks and nerds, if you could help a brother dork out:

So my kids have discovered the Teen Titans, they have a comic book and cartoon that they like to watch. It’s funny, I dig it, and one of the characters is guy called Cyborg, for fairly obvious reasons:

And I haven’t seen Justice League, but my understanding is that he was also a member of that team in the movie:

But then I’ve also been seeing these ads on YouTube for a new super hero show called Doom Patrol, and apparently Cyborg is on that team too??

I mean, these are all the same character right? They’re all DC at least. So is Cyborg a member of all of them? Does he have it written into his contract that he gets a piece of the action whenever some new team is created? Dude gets around.

I think the answer to your question is simple.

Comics are weird

Yes.

Also, what CraigM said.

Keto is not a diet, it’s a religion.

Fair enough; explanation accepted.