Random thought thread!

Cyborg is a terrible character.

There’s a live action Teen Titans show too now. Not sure if Cyborg is on it yet.

And Teen Titans Go! Cyborg is funny!

Is this where this kind of thing goes? This story is, ahem, off the hook:

That’s clickbait, dammit!
But I’m intrigued enough to click.

Reminds me of all those mysterious human feet that have been washing up on Canadian shores for years.
Thus, I must check into this!

Edit: Wait, that was a link to a Youtube researcher. Here’s a Washington Post article instead.

“Classically,” Cyborg is Teen Titans. I’m sure he’s been on the JL in the comics some time, because like the Avengers 75% of the respective universe passes through the “mainstream” team at some point.

Cyborg never had anything to do with the Doom Patrol. If he’s on the TV show for demographic reasons, it makes me wonder about a character from the famous Grant Morrison period named Rebus, who was, uh, contributed to by an African American woman. Because of Rebus’s origin, they can’t start with her, but do they plan to create her? If so, why shoehorn Cyborg in — maybe he’ll be around just for the beginning?

Have you ever burped and sneezed at the same time? Burp/sneeze/fart? Burp/hiccup/fart?

Weird mathy question. I only know basic probability.

Okay so say we toss down a whole bunch of steel walls. Or we roll a d6 60 times. This time I got the roll of 6 5 times instead of 10 times as expected on average.

Is there a mathy way to describe how a table of results falls within the expected distribution?
Say we drop a bunch of steel walls down the bell curve thing. If they are all perfect, I will call that a 1.0 score.

If they all fall down, say, the left side, I will call that a 0.0 score.

If they fall like this image below, say I call that a 0.94 cuz a bit is messed up.

Is there a mathy way to describe this 1.0,0.0,0.94, does it already exist?

Not exactly that I’m aware of, but very related to variance.

Yes! I think that’s exactly what I want to see! Thank you.

What you’re looking for is something like this:

I’ve gotten so pissed playing Catan that I routinely keep track of every die rolled and it’s really frustrating when you get 2 eights the entire game - which is beyond variance. And mind you this is with 4 pairs of die, with each player getting their own pair.

I’m convinced the Catan gods hate me. Variance can’t explain it.

Oh my yes. The problem with Catan is the frequency with which you do… nothing. Combined with length, it would be better at half the length.

But the times when you, with good numbers even, will get nothing for 3 rounds, basically roll the dice three turns in a row and end your turn because the dice have not given you a single resource, then all of a sudden after your turn have the next three players roll all your numbers so that you now have 7+ cards then roll a 7 on your turn and lose half your hand just when you were about to do something for the first time in 20 minutes?

I hate that so much. And I’ve had it happen, multiple times. Plus it has a runaway winner problem, and an issue where it’s a 90-120 minute game that has few interesting decisions past the 45 minute mark.

I am so done with Catan.

Chi-square is right, variance is something else.

It still may be what you’re looking for but you described “goodness of fit”, not variance.

Yes, thank you for the math answers.

I took the username JonSnow.

Silence is golden.

Corollary.

Gold is silent.

Discuss.

He’s got the Midas touch
He touched it too much

Warning: Extremely random post follows:

Just now, as I was sitting in my computer chair after work in my living room with my gf sitting on the sofa behind me, I was apparently pretty tired, for I took a micro-nap, lasting about 30 seconds or so.

The washing machine down the hall happened to be in its spin cycle, and was slightly off balance, which got incorporated into my mini-dream:

In my dream, Benny and Bjorn from Abba were sitting on top of my out-of-balance washing machine, and they were beginning to start shaking more and more, until, as the machine shook more and more violently, they both eventually vanished in a puff of smoke.

I apparently spoke the following aloud: “And that’s the last we saw of Benny and Bjorn.”

“From Abba?” my gf asked, waking me up.
“Um, yes.”
“Not the girls?”
“No. Just Benny and Bjorn.”
“Hmmm.”

I’m a bit disturbed that she never even asked me if I was asleep, or what the context was for me saying that if I wasn’t asleep. She just said, “Hmmm.”

My favorite dreams are being in Star Trek. I get to make jokes with Kirk and Spock. We have working phasers and run around the original ship trying to kill the intruders.