Randy Moss suddenly doesn't look so bad

Daunte Culpepper is an ass.

Seriously, there’s just no other way I can see this.

Either…don’t give him the jewlery, or give it to him and let him keep it. Giving it to him and taking it back a short while later? That’s just twisted.

“Here, kid.”
“Wow, thanks, Mean Joe!”
“Nah, I’m just messin’ with ya, kid…here, have a cookie.”

I would agree with you more strongly if the kid hadn’t greedily asked for a giant diamond necklace for no reason whatsoever. If Culpepper had visited the hospital to bring joy to hurt youngsters, gave the kid the necklace as a sincere gesture, and then got it back, that would be really crass. But I can see Culpepper’s side in this.

I think it was nice he asked for the kid’s address and offered to send him something. What the hell. This is more about the press trying to make something into a story. He might have just told the kid right up front he could wear it, when he put it on his neck, but giging him for not saying that seems sorta minor. His heart with in the right place.

Shrug.

I just think it’s really crass to give it to him without saying something to the effect that it was just to wear it. I think it’s twisted to toy with people’s emotions like that, intentionally or not.

I don’t find it agreeable that he’d do something that seems pretty damn impressive at first, and then take it back and saying “well, I’ll send you something else later.”

Intentionally or not, he baited the family and toyed with their emotions. I find that to be cruel.

Yeah, when he was dressing that night he probably said to himself, I’ll wear my 75k chains just in case some kid asks me if he can have it, then I’ll be in a good position to bait him and his family and mess with their emotions. Woo!

Yeah, when he was dressing that night he probably said to himself, I’ll wear my 75k chains just in case some kid asks me if he can have it, then I’ll be in a good position to bait him and his family and mess with their emotions. Woo![/quote]

What does that have to do with anything I said?

I said that he should either have not given it to them at all, or given it to them and left them have it. Nothing about whether he wore that in the first place with that intention.

So…what is your point? That it wasn’t an assholish thing to do?

Yeah, when he was dressing that night he probably said to himself, I’ll wear my 75k chains just in case some kid asks me if he can have it, then I’ll be in a good position to bait him and his family and mess with their emotions. Woo![/quote]

What does that have to do with anything I said?

I said that he should either have not given it to them at all, or given it to them and left them have it. Nothing about whether he wore that in the first place with that intention.

So…what is your point? That it wasn’t an assholish thing to do?[/quote]

It wasn’t necessarily. I can see how it could have happened.

• He’s at an event that doesn’t exactly afford him intimacy with the kid.
  • The kid just shouts out at him asking for it.
  • He gives it to him, thinking he’s just being a good sport and it’s understood that it’s not to keep.
  • The kid clearly has a different understanding of the situation.
  • The necklace has sentimental value (as if the ridiculous monetary value isn’t enough), so Culpepper has to get it back.

I think this is just a simple misunderstanding, and that offering to get him something else is actually a classy move.

Sentimental value. Yeah. To the kid it would’ve been, but to Daunte?

“It’s a day i’ll always remember, when i first realized i had so much money that i could buy decadent, yet completely tasteless shit like these necklaces”.

Whatever the particulars, it was poor form. Far be it from me to expect an NFL player to act with any sort of composure or decorum, but you’re in a bad place if you take anything back in a situation like this.

A) The kid’s a fan and is now paralyzed from playing the sport that bought those necklaces. You don’t fuck around in situations like that. It’s obviously just token bling for yet another athlete, but it would’ve meant the world to the kid.

B) This is the kicker: No one would’ve thought that they were just to wear because that would simply be retarded. Why’s that? You don’t fuck around with expensive items. I mean, once something gets to a certain pricepoint, most of us here would probably consider very carefully just what’s being offered and in what context. Most of us would probably see the SHITLOAD OF PEOPLE WATCHING to be another good reason to pay attention. I think this is because most of us are, you know, not idiots.

So what should he have done, when the paralyzed kid came up to him and asked him for his $75,000 necklace? If he didn’t want to give it to him for good, there was nothing he could have done that would have got him out of it. If he had blown the kid off, you’d all be slamming him for that.

The kid didn’t come up to Culpepper and ask for the necklace, Culpepper was on stage at an award ceremony, and when the emcee opened up the floor for questions, the kid asked, “Hey Daunte, can I get some of that ice?” If Culpepper didn’t want to give the kid his jewlery, he should’ve treated it as the joke the kid probably meant it as, he shouldn’t have jumped off the stage and draped the kid with the necklaces. Of course, maybe this really ought to be a lesson that, unless you’re the Queen of England, maybe you shouldn’t be wearing $75k in butt-ugly bling.

The kid didn’t come up to Culpepper and ask for the necklace, Culpepper was on stage at an award ceremony, and when the emcee opened up the floor for questions, the kid asked, “Hey Daunte, can I get some of that ice?” If Culpepper didn’t want to give the kid his jewlery, he should’ve treated it as the joke the kid probably meant it as, he shouldn’t have jumped off the stage and draped the kid with the necklaces. Of course, maybe this really ought to be a lesson that, unless you’re the Queen of England, maybe you shouldn’t be wearing $75k in butt-ugly bling.[/quote]

True that.

If society didn’t enjoy making itself feel better by seeing things given to the infirm we wouldn’t be having this conversation in the first place.

The crime committed was to go against society’s sentiments. “You broke my sentimental groove! Punishment: He gets to keep the necklace! We get what WE want!”

Its a simple misunderstanding. They happen every day.

I wonder why Culpepper felt he was put on the spot? Sounds like he needs a little more media presence training.

As for the necklace, it was saved from going on eBay and being a minor news story … just like the situation that happened.

I don’t think the title of this thread is correct and I definitely don’t think he’s close to Moss.

Yeah, I don’t see how what Culpepper did in any way equates to pushing a meter maid around with the front end of an SUV.

Yeah, I didn’t stop to think about that one when I typed that up. My mistake.

I was thinking more in terms of recent times, and I consider this a bit worse than the Lambeau Field incident.