Raven Shield MP demo

OK, so which of you bastards are at home playing this right now? And since I’ve got an hour-and-a-half until I get home and three hours of waiting in line on FilePlanet before I can play, how is it?

Well, there are only two maps, and one of them is a total remake of the classic Hereford Street Map. Only, this time, it’s a helluva lot more detailed and prettier with the new engine. Difference between night and day, though the character textures look kinda bad close up.

I do like a lot of the subtle gameplay changes. You can’t just run up and down a ladder at will. You’ve got to stop, sling your weapon, and actually climb up the rungs. You’re very vulnerable when you do that… but at least people can’t stand there and turn around and fire while on the ladder anymore.

If you sidestep, it’s measurably slower than actually walking forward or backward, which it should be. You’ve got to do that leg shuffle that football players do in practice.

Weapon recoil is a friggin bitch. Used an M-14 and that thing kicked like a mule. Best to go single shot.

It’s very raw. Front End UI is functional only, and nothing to write home about. Lots of stuff got left out of the demo. I’m hoping for support for better looking textures in the final game (kinda like how Epic stripped out the really big textures out of the demo to keep download size small).

Good News. Game is due out in February, so it’s not like they’re planning to go gold next week, like some companies do after releasing the demo. They’ve got about 2 1/2 months to polish.

Plug: piestactics.com 15+ mirrors, many of which aren’t even at capacity.

I apologize profusley for the blatant web site plugs.

I’m quite impressed by the demo, although I would like to see them improve the ladder and door interaction. I actually think the weapon recoil is done very well, too.

But then, I’m a fanboy. ;=p

Okay, this has BY FAR the best implementation of night vision I’ve ever seen in any game. It’s dead-on. Instead of just giving us grainy green vision, it actually properly shows light amplification effects, and just how bad it is if you’re wearing NV goggles and someone turns on a bright light.

Default key for NV is “5”, and you have got to check it out. Very, very, very realistic.

And it has a great anti-TK feature. Someone TK’s you, it tells you and gives you an option of making them sit out as a spectator the next match.

This is kind of pedantic, but the music on the menu screen is about to drive me nuts.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting? I can connect the first time, no problem. But if I leave that game and try to join another, it just tells me “server not responding” until I quit completely back to desktop and restart the game. It might be a ZAP thing, but I can’t figure out what…

Yeah, the server browser is royally screwed up. Says that games have slots open, but then they’re actually full when you try joining.

Nother problem is actually finding a server that (1) has actual slots open and (2) isn’t password locked.

People are already bitching about the music. 155MB download, and we get a 3-second loop of music that repeats ad naseum. But they felt it aok to include a 6 MB Splinter Cell movie in the demo. Jeez.

Anyone else speechless over this debacle with the FilePlanet exclusive of Raven Shield?

Uh, when I downloaded it, it wasn’t even AVAILABLE on fileplanet yet. Hardly an “exclusive.”

Uh, when I downloaded it, it wasn’t even AVAILABLE on fileplanet yet. Hardly an “exclusive.”[/quote]

That’s the point. Ubi Soft released the file through all the foreign markets, so 3D Gamers, FileShack, et. al, released it thinking it was cool.

Then FilePlanet tromps on the scene and announces that they had in fact exclusive rights to the demo. Send out the legal dogs.

Exclusive demos are like exclusive news on the internet. They’re only exclusive for the time it takes to download them and post them somewhere else.

–Dave

The shield has some serious bugs that I hope will be fixed very soon, otherwise folks will start to get really pissed.

They may all be related, but one thing that crops up is some sort of input bug, where at times certain commands won’t work (for me it’s peeking). On top of that, there’s a problem where your weapon suddenly disappears or refuses to function and you can’t switch weapons. And finally there’s one that kills mouselook and most of your key commands, though movement still seems to work. This happens regularly, at least in the games I played yesterday – I’d say to at lest one person a round on a busy 8v8 game.

One annoying thing is that the teams are identified as a green and red, and the HUD displays friend-or-foe on the target reticle by showing green as friendly. If you didn’t immediately know the differences in color uniform (which aren’t that much, dirty white to a tan), you could easily mistake a bad guy for a good guy at first start.

Aside from some lagginess sometimes, this is an awesome game (and finally you can actually see your own weapons). Models are excellent, with individual weapons and grenades shown, and the effect of the gas is quite psychodelic.

Still get confused around the hospital level though…

— Alan

One annoying thing is that the teams are identified as a green and red, and the HUD displays friend-or-foe on the target reticle by showing green as friendly. If you didn’t immediately know the differences in color uniform (which aren’t that much, dirty white to a tan), you could easily mistake a bad guy for a good guy at first start.

I thought this too when I was playing, except that, since the uniforms appeared to me to be green and blue, I thought that that’s what the interface ought to reflect. But there’s also the probability that uniform colors will change in the actual game depending on the scenario. Imo, it would really be best, then, to get rid of the color names altogether and give each team an alpha designation instead. That way there would be no ambiguity ever.

If UbiSoft grants FilePlanet exclusive right to distribute the file, that’s well within its rights as the owner of said IP. After all, a website is actually required to have permission to distribute most demos. Says so right in their readme files. (It’s usually in there to keep people from selling them, which technically a “for profit” website is doing.)

The magazines have to get permission to distribute a demo, in writing, which is sent to the duplicator. And we get told “no” from time to time, yet we don’t bitch and whine about PC Gamer only getting the “exclusive.” Well, most of the time, and at least not in public.

Seems to routinely dump me to desktop after 30 mins to an hour of playing now too… still, having fun with it.

— Alan