Razer corp turns into assholes

Run a softminer from Razer to get credit towards select Razer peripherals however…

As someone on Twitter points out, the most expensive reward is the Huntsman Elite keyboard which costs 280,000 Silver. It normally retails for $200. Earning it through Softminer (at a rate of 500 Silver per day) will take approximately 560 days. That’s more than a year and a half of running your PC nonstop for $200 in value. You will far exceed that amount in increased electricity bills and wear-and-tear to your graphics card. Also, inexplicably, the Silver expires after a year which means it’s functionally impossible to buy the Huntsman Elite exclusively through Softminer.

Razer pockets all the coins, you waste your money via electricity and get a pittance in credit towards their products. The user loses in all instances.

It’s also pretty hilariously late to the Cryptomining party.

Can you use real money to buy extra Silver?

Man, I recently bought one of their mice and I really like it.

Now they pull this.

I kinda wanna flick it out the window.

Sometimes companies do really stupid things because they screwed up, but it happens. Sometimes they do really stupid things that actually harm their very valuable brands because they are 100% wrong about everything. This is one of those things.

Good lord. If you actually install this crapware, the government should come and take your computer away.

I don’t care about this, but I do care that I can’t disable the goddamn RGB lighting on this mouse without leaving their software running the entire time since there’s no onboard memory. I’ve been too lazy to return it, but it’s going to happen.

I know, but I feel for some poor uneducated guy who sees this and thinks he’s gonna get something for free, and can’t figure out why his electricity bill has skyrocketed and his video card dies. These schemes are designed to trap two kinds of people. The greedy get-rich-quick shlubs, but then also the vulnerable.

They’re both the same person.

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic, but no - they’re not. Someone who is sick, elderly, simply poorly educated may think this is a promotional deal designed by a company for them (the consumer’s) best interests in mind.

I don’t care much about adults who fall for this scheme, but kids shouldn’t be exposed to scams like this and my guess is that’s 75%+ of who will install this. “Hey, I can get free gear, and dad pays the bills anyway!”

Be hard for a non-IT parent to track down what’s going on too. Think about a laptop video card trying to do this 24/7. That thing is gonna burn out in no time.

I used to like a few Razer products, absurd price points notwithstanding. This makes it real easy to never fuck with them ever again.

Now that I think about it, it’s been maybe a decade since I had a Razer anything?

“…turns?” That whole Exxxtreme Gamer marketing thing they’ve traded on since inception has always been grating.

That’s why I returned my Razer mouse and keyboard after about a week. I can’t believe that doesn’t bother more people.

I remember my razr mouse drivers. They loved bsod’ing Windows.

I feel your pain. Up until they started offering the option in BIOS to disable it, I manually operated on my ASUS ROG laptops to disable the godawful external lid lights. I currently have a Logitech G903 that lights up, but it has multiple options in the driver to change the color, intensity, and on/off, for them.

So glad I’ve been sticking with other mouse manufacturers.

Sigh, I guess the current Razer mouse will be my only Razer mouse once it dies. Which I truly hope isn’t for a while because I really like it, especially it’s sniper clutch button thing (use it ALL the time), but god this behavior is shitty.

Double check - this is something you have to download in addition to the regular drivers and software for their devices? It is not doing this on the sly so to speak?