Razer Naga Trinity Chroma/Synapse question

I picked up this Razer mouse because I liked the idea of the versatility of the buttons, and with the understanding that I’d be able to tone down the lighting effects to something I could reconcile with my own tastes.

And indeed, I can come up with a few subtle lighting presets I like, but with one huge frustrating exception: as soon as my laptop locks (either manually or after the idle timeout) the lighting reverts to the spectrum cycling preset, rotating through the whole rainbow.

It also does this any time you quit Synapse (the customization software), so it’s consistent at least, but it seems like I should be able to set a default of my own. Googling turned up some results involving choosing a new preset, then toggling to the one you normally want, and then it would revert to the previous preset instead of the default or something, but all those results seemed to be for older versions of Synapse.

A post to the Razer support forums yielded no response after 48 hours.

So, one last attempt at solving this, is there a way to make my Razer mouse not an obnoxious light show when my computer is sitting there idle in the office, or am I returning this mouse? It’s a nice mouse to use but it’s not something I feel like I can’t live without.

Well, there we go, just got an answer from Razer:

Greetings from Razer Software Support and thank you for taking your time to write to us.

We understand that your lights go to default settings when your computer is locked or on sleep mode, since your lighting settings or profiles are stored on the cloud server and your devices rely on these profiles, when your computer is on sleep mode or locked, the connection to the cloud server is also temporarily disconnected. So when this happens the lights go to default lighting. In Synapse 2 the profiles can work even if it is disconnected from the cloud server since Synapse 2 has an offline mode. Rest assured that our Engineers are working on enhancing the features of Synapse 3. Subsequent updates to Razer Synapse 3 will be rolled in phases and will eventually address such issues.

Should you have further concern or clarifications, please feel free to contact us back anytime. Kindly take note of this case number XXXXX for this email session.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Have a great day ahead and thanks again for supporting Razer!

I think I’ll return the mouse, dealing with unpredictable changes to their Synapse software sounds like a headache I don’t need.

Mouse profiles on the cloud? /disbeliefinblinking

Yeah, at first I thought that was an optional syncing thing I’d never have any use for. But apparently the profiles only live there. Bizarre and off-putting. Just got home from returning it to Best Buy.

I’m pretty sure you can save to the mouse in synapse 3 so it would epically stupid if it can’t use them. They have certainly made a mess of things though. Synapse 3 doesn’t support most devices, so if you have a naga or orbweaver or whatever it is called keypad you need to run synapse 2 for that and that can cause issues when both versions of synapse running.

The lights pretty much never behave how I want them to, but the keybindings seem to work so I try to ignore it.

From what I could figure out, you could save profiles to the mouse directly, but profiles didn’t include lighting presets, just keybindings (and not even all of those options could be saved, it depended on specifically how you configured it).

I’m trying to remember that in looking for an answer to my problem, of course I kept ending up in places where other people were talking about their problems. But it’s hard not to come away with the suspicion that Razer’s software support is a total clusterfuck.