Read all about it: Facts and News edition

Haha?

this has been debunked

The controversy was first ignited over the weekend when two Argentine journalists, Jorge Lanata and Romina Manguel, said on TV that during their conversation, Trump asked Macri for help getting approval for the tower. Lanata said he was “half joking, half serious” and didn’t cite any sources.

This whole thing will only get worse for a simple reason: believing fake news only has upsides. If you are already of the belief that Hillary is terrible, any news that ‘proves’ that she’s eating babies because she’s actually a lizard person will make you feel better due to it validating your belief.

There is no obvious downside to dismissing facts and replacing them with your own reality. There are indirect downsides of course, like Trump looting the country for the next four years, but that doesn’t link back to you not believing facts. Upon encountering an uncomfortable reality, just explain it away with more fake news. It’s a cycle that feeds upon itself and will only get worse and worse.

While reading a bizarre Washington Post article yesterday talking about how Russian Propaganda in the form of fake news may have greatly impacted the presidential race (bizarre because it seems like the sort of thing you couldn’t possibly take seriously without wearing a tinfoil hat) the thought struck me that the news outlets we used to depend on have played right into this trap by pissing all over themselves to the the first to report things, which is damn near impossible these days. This, combined with the fact that people are stupid, have led us here.

I’m not sure that a reliable news source exists at this point or that anyone would pay attention to it if there were.

Eh, not so much debunked as denied, the evidence is definitely there.

Yet more reasons the president can’t be involved in business ventures that would affect the office, the US, or other countries.

It feels coincidental. If the originator won’t even come clean, I have a hard time believing it. I want to add “Trump can’t be THAT stupid can he?”

Now if someone can produce a tape or willing to come forward and stand behind it, then I agree that it sure feels like some things just happened to fall into place after that call.

I’d have to claim to wear a tinfoil hat then because I am convinced this happened. I even wrote a long lengthy post about after the election. Short summary is that it isn’t so much the fake news or fake mems (which I attribute more than fake news), but the fact that so many people spread them like wildfire.

Corruption: it’s what the president elect stands for

Isn’t this a problem with education rather than blaming the result of something?

I guess “social” media sharing of faux news is just the western version of what I used to laugh about when I heard how all those fake stories about US/jews being told/reported on from the middle east - and spread through hearsay. Say a bomb exploded in a Baghdad market, and it would immediately be blamed on the US Troops or some “Zionist conspiracy” because x,y,z. Since people in the west do not sit outside a coffee shop and talk and share “news” and stories, we use facebook to click&spread instead.

The knock-on effect from a corrupt President would have hit every single person in poverty around the world as it essentially negates the US as a moral leader fighting bribery and corruption. The only thing holding back the multinats from outright bribery and influence globally is the FCPA.

There must be some other fake news articles floating around. There are a lot of Trump supporters trying to claim Black Friday sales as a Trump victory… which makes no sense at all.

Eh, it sorta does. The morning after Trump I won, I was in a panic as to how to protect my retirement fund from the inevitable market crash and how I was going to squirrel away any savings. Now the market is doing fine and I’m buying frivolous snorkeling masks simply because they are highly discounted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BKSV9UK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That IS a victory for Trump.

You realize any sort of market crash will be after he starts actually doing something right?

Once he starts his trade wars that’s when it’s likely to happen.

Oh sure. But apparently I’m not as worried about that anymore.

The news agencies said there’s typically a brief honeymoon period for all president elects where “benefit of the doubt” is shown, and this pattern has repeated for the last 60-100 years.

I am. Not because his policies don’t favor people who are well-off financially to have investments in the stock market, but because of whatever he might get us involved in that would destabilize the world economy.

I’m all for a honeymoon period. I remember Obama had one too. But if you couldn’t afford a $2k 4k TV on 11/7, you sure as hell shouldn’t be spending like you can today.

The reason being pointed out for the spike in Black Friday shopping is a general unclenching of butts because the election is over. I can’t find the article I read earlier today, but they called it something like “post-election elation”. The article said we would’ve seen the same spike in sales if HRC had won.

In essence, the public is just damn happy that the whole thing is over. People are relaxing now that we’re not hearing 20 times a day how F’d the country is. Now it’s a general hopefulness that maybe things are actually going to improve. 2008 and 20012 experienced the same thing, with year-over-year increases in per-shopper spending of 10% and 9% respectively.

Russian social network hacking 2014-2016

https://twitter.com/EUvsDisinfo/status/803635615157735424

The Vremya Pokazhet talk show presented a summary of most of the media-related claims from pro-Kremlin outlets: “There is no independent media in the West, everything is propaganda” (http://bit.ly/2fFZg2a). This common narrative encapsulates much of the tactical messaging that seeks to undermine the credibility of any source, and to sow confusion, cynicism and mistrust. In the table, you will find a detailed debunking showing the fundamental differences between the Western and pro-Kremlin outlets.