Reagan on W: "shiftless, ne'er-do-well"

From the just published Reagan diaries:

The entry is dated May 17, 1986.

‘A moment I’ve been dreading. George brought his ne’re-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida. The one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I’ll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they’ll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work.’

Seems a little too perfect. My spidey sense is tingling (but that could be this morning’s poppyseed lox bagel).

edit *why would Ron-Ron be dreading this? I can’t imagine W being on his radar.

What, you think there were a lot of people who respected W in 1986?

No. No. Not at all. He was just the ill tempered failed drunk wanna be cowboy son of a wishy washy WASP party hack.
I’m just saying why would Ron Reagan even know W was alive, much less be dreading the moment he had to get him a job?

This could be totally true, I’m just naturally suspicious of anything that sounds too perfect to be true.

I call shenanigans, Reagan and Kinsley weren’t exactly buddies. For that matter, neither were Reagan and Bush I.

You gotta believe!

Would you have burdened a friend with him?

Because his dad was Reagan’s VP?

Considering the Diaries have been out for well over a month, maybe two, I’m with Lum. I find it hard to believe that this entry wouldn’t have surfaced sooner and been emailed to me five times by now.

Easy enough to check, though. Who owns the book?

Troy

I think Gary’s link then links back to the New Republic or some such. This reads like a snarky NR writer/editor making up up shit for a filler article. Taken out of context one might be able to think its a real quote.

But yeah, it would have hit like a bomb if it was a real quote.

I dunno. Bush has been pretty open about the fact that during the 80s, yeah, he pretty much did coast through the decade drunk off his ass.

I just don’t see Reagan feeling responsible for getting him a job. It’s not like the Bush clan was ever hard up for that sort of thing.

A little googling turned up a Digg link to this, which had this note in the comments:

The paragraph in the article in The New Republic that immediately precedes this quote goes something like this:

“But I was more interested in the me angle, frankly. And it was a puzzle. What on earth could Reagan have written? I indulged my imagination, and my ego:”

So BlueJackalope wins the prize.

…and we all lose a little more innocence.

Woo another pointless P&R thread!

Let’s just start linking to Onion stories to increase the amount of factual data here!

Oh snap.

You’re a few posts behind, Epix.

Yeah, but I didn’t see a Snopes link so I figured I would throw the final nail into the coffin and kick the horse corpse on my way out of the room.

Snopes is a hoax, fyi

That’s what THEY WANT you to think.

The original link has been updated with new context. However, unless I’m reading it wrong, it still sounds bad.

“George Bush is such a loser, maybe I’ll call another loser and see if he’ll give him a job!”