Real or Rumor?... Volume I

I don’t know. Look what they paid for Rare.[/quote]

Speaking of which, That has been a big dissapointment. When Microsoft first bought rare, everyone was thinking “yeah, Perfect Dark for the Xbox, non-kiddy games from Rare!” So far all they have shown is Conker remix and some kiddy game involving a kid saving his girlfriend. Neither of which look that great.

What’d they pay, like 500 million for Rare? I didn’t understand it at the time, either. Rare is also developing the platformer Kameo, which involves a fairy changing forms to animals and plants to do things (I think).

Well, from what I’ve read, Rare is mainly being tasked with prepping launch titles for Xbox2. It’s still a couple of years away, but now is the time to start development. MS obviously doesn’t have hardware nailed down, but they do have a general idea of how powerful the machine will be and how many polys per second, yadda yadda yadda. And so they can start designing a game now. Plus, if it’s gonna be primarily PC-based like Xbox1 was, there shouldn’t be any nasty surprises hardware-wise.

Well, from what I’ve read, Rare is mainly being tasked with prepping launch titles for Xbox2. It’s still a couple of years away, but now is the time to start development. MS obviously doesn’t have hardware nailed down, but they do have a general idea of how powerful the machine will be and how many polys per second, yadda yadda yadda. And so they can start designing a game now. Plus, if it’s gonna be primarily PC-based like Xbox1 was, there shouldn’t be any nasty surprises hardware-wise.[/quote]

I’ve heard from pretty goshdarn reliable sources that the only difference between Xbox development and Xbox 2 development is that Xbox 2 uses DirectX 9.

I don’t know much about programming, but that sure sounds preferable to learning how to handle that cell-processing beast Sony’s threatening to unleash.

~MJK

It may be preferable, but it almost guarantees that Sony’s machine will be sexier kit and will likely have a lot more potential power. I think there is a very big East vs. West showdown coming to video games in the next couple generations.

–Dave

The PS3 being more difficult to program for probably won’t hurt it much. A few smaller developers might defect, but the big publishers will do what it takes to be on the biggest platform, which will probably be Sony.

Bethesda Studios is working on a Game of Thrones game? If that’s true, it could be amazing.

I remember hearing once that they had been approached about making a GoT game instead of or as well as Skyrim. Would be interesting.

Maybe it will be like Dark Souls where you are constantly dying, except you have to play a new character each time.

If it’s true, and they are developing a game, I hope it’s set in the Riverlands during the war of the 5 kings. That would be pretty ambitious though, because it would have to involve lots of parties of NPCs doing their own thing. And despite Bethesda’s ambitions in that area, they have never been very good at that sort of thing. Radiant AI and it’s cousins kind of suck.

man, fourteen years later, I would have thought we’d be on Volume II by now.

I thought Bethesda was busy with whatever Project Starfield is going to be. I know Bethesda was in early negotiations to do a Game of Thrones game, but the license restrictions were too onerous at the time. I wonder if they were able to work that out? Plus, they could just be publishing a GoT game from another developer.

Of course, this could all be nothing. It wouldn’t be the first time a retailer has steered everyone wrong with an early web listing for something.

Is that anything more than a rumor yet? I’d be way more interested in this than any more Games of Thrones content. I’m Thrones-ed out.

Ugh. This is solidly in the area that Bethesda doesn’t do well - characters and grand plots. I don’t have any desire to wander aimlessly around Westeros.

I never activated the events in Skyrim that would get the two sides fighting each other. Was that not done well? If you activated that course, did you come upon armies in skirmishes against one another?

I agree! Not on being Thrones-ed out, but on being more interested in Project Starfield.

This is the rumor thread, let’s have it. What are the Project Starfield rumors? Only rumors I can find is that it’s a science fiction RPG. That’s almost nothing to go on. Fallout is a science fiction RPG too. Have you guys heard anything other than sci-fi RPG?

Bethesda isn’t talking. My understanding is that they filed paperwork, maybe trademarks on the name, but nothing is announced. But the speculation is that this would be a spacefaring RPG, unlike Fallout. And with the Mass Effect series bring put in suspended animation, I really really need more space exploration adventure/RPG goodness in my life.

New KoTOR game in development? But not at EA or Bioware?

Hahaha, rereading this thread, it’s crazy how long we’ve been going around these conversations. 17 years!