Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

Last year I replayed Commandos 1, BTCOD and part of 2. It stood the test of the very well and I didn’t feel like it needed a ‘remaster’!

Personally, I can’t wait for Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition. It looks really nice, and I lost countless nights to AOE2 (on the MSN Gaming Zone!) when I was a youngster.

Hearing “wololo” again, might just bring a tear to my eye.

Iron Harvest appears to finally have a release date, but it is September 2020.

I guess they want to get it just right, which I am ok with.

They have had a closed alpha going on since December of last year on Steam.

Trailer:

Anyone trying A Year of Rain?

It looks like the most generic RTS game possible.

Well, so was that cavemen vs dinosaurs one, and people seemed to like that.

Maybe this time Microsoft will stop being a horrible tease and actually reveal something about Age of Empires 4 for us.

AOE II DE comes out tomorrow, so I wouldn’t assume they plan to talk about AOE4. They might, they might not.

Luckily it looks like it didn’t uninstall the beta just disabled it, and purchasing the game brought it back. Ready for some AoE2:DE.

There were other reports that AoE4 info comes up simultaniously with AoE2DE.

But the real greatness awaits in AoE3DE! First it won’t require much work, just adapt the UI and do something with the bloom. Second it had a very nice multiplayer/singleplayer idea of unlocking new cards that was spoiled by the fact that you can hack it with opening config file with notepad. Third it’s a pinnacle of RTS design, the only thing we got after that was RTS blending with tactics in Company of Heroes and Dawn of War games (it started before though).

Apparently Aaron Greenberg said in August that they’d talk more about AOE4 at XO19, so it sounds like, yes, they will be unveiling the next Age of Empires game later today.

Age of Empires 3 DE doesn’t interest me as much as Age of Empires 2 DE. There game had some great features, but the lack of drop off mechanics leaves the city building aspect underwhelming. You no longer have to worry about your logistics.

Also, I despise the complexity of the card system. To many places to go wrong before the game even starts.

Now, Age of Mythology would be a lot of fun to see upgraded to DE.

Yeah, looking at AoMEE today is painful, I can’t make out what happens there. Updated textures, effects and shadows just make everything look like a mess. Plus UI is horrendous, I’ve played the game just for few hours but felt an irrisistable urge to fix fonts at least, it’s my only contribution to Steamworks so far.

Looks like there were some server hiccups at the beginning, but there were 20k+ in the game on steam.

Yeah i’d pay for a DE of AoM as well.

AoE4 gameplay reveal. It shows a late medieval city under siege.

I always though they’re gonna make whole history game judging by the teaser. Now that we have some trailer it’s either that or AoE2 timeframe. And trying to top AoE2 - especially now that it got nice graphics and UI and as much content as you can hold - is insane.

Better be whole history…

I can’t imagine a whole history AoE4 comparing favorably to the magnificence that is Rise of Nations, personally.

Jumped in to spectate a game real quick, and they seem have kicked the crap out of the performance issues they were suffering earlier in beta. With the UHD textures at 4k I’m seeing up to 200fps, where early in beta it could be down in the 30s easily. Really looking forward to playing tonight.