Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

Currently playing Warlords Battlecry III but man, was this game buggy bug-fuck, even with all the patches. I can’t even use the Patrol feature without it crashing. But it seems rather deep with a good variety of maps/units making a case for much replayability. I’m playing The Protectors mod which means I have to play on “Easy” else I get humbled, and I do mean humbled. Such is the natures of mods that assume you’re thoroughly familiar with vanilla. Unfortunately, I wasn’t. He who hesitates in these games gets humbled.

Yeah, sadly Warlords Battlecry 3 was a huge sales flop, so I didn’t blame them for dropping support early and not continuing to patch it. Warlords Battlecry 2 is actually more polished because it was a bigger success (relatively speaking). I still love them both.

And yeah, Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance are amazing.

WBC3 flopped because it just wasn’t as good as 2.

It flopped before it was even out. In the Seattle area, each EB/Gamestop only ordered 2 copies of the box. So among us 4 friends, on launch day we thought it would be impossible to find four copies in the whole Seattle area. But no, two of us had to go North (alderwood mall, I think?), and two to the South near the Airport. And that was it, that was the remaining copies in the Seattle area.

While I agree it wasn’t as good, it was also a flop before it even came out. People were still playing Warcraft 3, and there wasn’t much room for what WBC3 was selling.

Yeah I think a bit of RTS fatigue was also setting in at this point.

I’ve only played Warlords Battle Cry 2 after being shamed about it in my RTS thread.

Good stuff. But much more important was discovering Kohan.

I might have to switch games then. Been playing as a druid hero (only at lvl 4) in WB3 and I’m in the third story mission and encountered a massively overpowered lizard shaman hero that just completely decimates my 60+ troops with just one or two spells, all the while being attacked by about 20 of her spell casting minions; and this is on Easy! I see no way to beat her and this mission since I only have healing spells at this level and can summon a single animal companion (not a bear, not even a badger; most fearsome thing I can summon is a cow!) so I might just call it a day and play something like Kohan instead. I’m thinking I probably shouldn’t have tried doing a first playthrough with that Protectors mod.

So, maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but Kohan isn’t that great. People say it’s a better way to play, less micro, a smarter way, etc.

They took a regular RPS and decided that the base unit was now a group of troops. That’s pretty much it. It’s different, it’s not like the regular way of making RPS where your base soldier is braindead, you need to do stuff a little different, because your “unit” can have a gazillion variations, so you need to code for that, but it isn’t that different from a regular RPS, it just looks different.

At least the one I played, Kohan 1. IMO.

Get out

Agreed.

I even loved it at first, until I played it multiplayer with a friend who is really good at RTS games and can click and give orders way faster than me. Aha! I thought, here’s a game in which he won’t have an advantage because it’s not about clicking on stuff fast.

No, it’s still about clicking on stuff fast. He kicked my ass so completely because he could do so much more than I could in the same amount of time.

I have the Kohan series in my library so I’ll be sure to check it out someday. In the meantime, I’m still sticking with WB3 since I found a way to defeat that overpowered boss. I didn’t realize that one of my builders could build garrison towers which have a fairly powerful lightning based attack by default so I surrounded mine enemy and built about five towers and just let them chip away at that shaman lizard bitch’s own garrison towers. It took a while but I did beat it. But the reason I didn’t think my builder could build garrison towers was because it’s a Will-o’-the-wisp. Who woulda thunk a Will-o’-the-wisp could build garrison towers? This is one of those games that has some depth (along with the ridiculousness) so if you dig deep enough you can probably find the way out of your predicament.

RPS? Rock Paper Scissors?

Ooops. :D

Anyone play this?

Noice! Another TA-successor!

But it’s still in Alpha+. Whatever that means.

Never played BAR because I’m scared off by the ward “Alpha” but I do have Zero-K in my Steam library. Hey, as Joni Mitchell once titled a song: “real good for free.”

Zero-K is crazy but it might have too many unit production buildings.

They all seem to be open source projects developed off the spring engine. I’m not sure if at some point there was a common ancestor for Zero-K and BAR (plus the others that exist), but they are somewhat similar from what I remember. I never played TA back in the olden days, so I don’t know how close they are to that. There are videos of people playing on youtube that will probably give a decent idea of what it is like.