Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

In my case you have to go all the way back to Kohan.

I really think Brad is making a mistake by not doing an Elemental series RTS. I think there’s a market for that- and the world setting seems really suited for an RTS.

Sure, it’ll probably be just as successful as Warlords Battlecry 1 through 3 (another RTS spin off of a TBS game).

I’m not sure if that is a good thing or not. I guess it depends on your opinion of WBC3

While probably not successful in financial terms, wasn’t WBC3 excellently done and well reviewed?

WBC 3 benefited from being a WBC 2 expansion.

So as some of you know, Stardock just merged Ashes of the Singularity and Escalation into a single RTS (Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation).

The original Ashes of the Singularity had massive scale:

and Escalation introduced somewhat more hard-core RTS features:

So everyone who bought Ashes of the Singularity now has Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation.

You can read more about the WHY of it here:
http://www.stardock.com/community/article/481856/ONE-COMMUNITY-Merging-the-Singularity

A reimagined Kohan would be an almost instant buy from me.

So say we all.

Any chance I get to roll over people with the Ceyah is welcome.

I had a dream last night you added gigantic juggernauts and didn’t even bother to tell anyone. Loaded up the game and they were there and I couldn’t help but wonder why they didn’t coincide with the great mergening. There was this brain juggernaut that was pretty sick as its neural material was overflowing and draped down the sides of its vessel.

want5

Call me crazy but WBC meets Kohan would be great.

I can be super fast clicking individual units anymore these days.

I’d love to see and play a new Kohan game.

Right now, what I’d like to see is Ashes of the Singularity made very moddable so that people can use it to create any RTS they want and share it. This is, afterall, how we got MOBAs (Dota was a Warcraft 3 mod).

I love the sound of that!

A strategic view feature makes it more hardcore? That’s an interesting concept.
I would argue it makes it more casual friendly: a way to have a general overview of the match and be able to give simple orders from there should reduce micro and “APM” skills.

So I guess a Age of Empires Definitive Edition was announced?

I wonder if that means they’ll upgrade the graphics for Aoe2 on its 20th anniversary.

Was looking at 30 day player average stats for RTS games on Steam while in a discussion elsewhere:

Ashes of Singularity: 121.8
Grey Goo: 24.4
Dawn of War III: 1,521.2
Dawn of War II - Retribution: 344.0
Company of Heroes 2: 4,137.2
Company of Heroes: 1,915.4
Age of Empires 2: HD: 6,318.7
Age of Empires 3: 1,269.0
Age of Mythology: EE: 793.0
Rise of Nations: EE: 451.9
Halo Wars - DE: 184.1
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance: 414.2
Supreme Commander 2: 293.0
Planetary Annihilation: Titans: 226.4
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak: 36.4
Homeworld: Remastered: 167.1
Offworld Trading Company: 129
Star Wars: Empire at War: 691
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: 689.7

I have no idea what the numbers are for Starcraft: Brood War and Starcraft 2, but I imagine they blow these out of the water. This also doesn’t include numbers from folks that play via Voobly or elsewhere. What is the path forward for the genre? Have the newer titles been that bad, or do people just like to go with what they know and head back to old favorites like AoE2.

I keep saying this- but Stardock has the tools needed to make such a game using Legendary Heroes’s units/items/world (or a variation thereof)- many things go one for one with Kohan, and you’ve got a bunch of heroes already designed.

With Ashes engine and multithreaded AI, you could have larger armies than what Kohan had, and avoid some of the townstealing exploits that Kohan had with an UI that could adapt to human cheese.

If you put the game out there flat out as both a spiritual successor to Kohan and “an accessible RTS game without peon management or excessive micromanagement”, I could see it doing well. I’d also advertise it a bit to the MOBA crowd as an alternative game for them to try. I see Kohan as sorta an ancestor to MOBAs in general as well.

In terms of keeping the community going, it has to have the addictive people want to keep playing it factor. Going F2P is an option. Have a founder’s option that gets new content first, and make your money off of cosmetics. (you might need to go the fanservice route some)
(Allow F2P folks to ban content they aren’t going to get yet to avoid crying though)

Heh. They didn’t pick the scifi theme by random choice. It’s much easier to animate vehicles like ships, tanks and robots than humans and beasts. Hell, AoS is specially cheap even by the scifi RTS standards, with 100% of units being floaty ‘antigrav’ vehicles or flying units.

Looking at that list, I own 9 of them, and still looking for a worthy successor to Supcom FA, which I play way too much. PA was executed well, I’d probably still be playing it if it wasn’t a sphere - I loved the idea, but my old brain just can’t handle being attacked from 360 degrees. I like defensive points I can establish & inch out (I’m a solo/coop only).

Ashes was scratching quite a bit of the itch, except it had a deal-breaker for me in how it handles radar. Brad and company never respond to my complaints, they’d rather listen to the chorus of fanboys on their forums so I uninstalled it.

I didn’t realize Dawn of War was an RTS, so I’m off to look at that.

Are you sure Brad was aware that you are the Prophet of Radar and that all those fanboys were completely wrong?