Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

One of the nice things in MOW was that you could take control of one character/unit and do all the movement/aiming using normal wasd controls with mouse aim (if I remember correctly). Remember controlling a sniper was pretty handy.

I could’ve mixed things up, since it has been a fair bit of years since that video was made.

Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will heed it and start with S:HoWW2, following it with Faces of War-- both games have been in my backlog for too long!

No base building, sir.

A first it can be overwhelming. Then you notice you can play it a 0.2x speed or whatever and you have plenty of time to do micro units at your taste.

I believe I want to play this game…

http://www.numantiangames.com/theyarebillions/

I was kind of hoping for a role reversal here where you were the one playing the infected. Oh well.

I really wish you hadn’t showed me that until it was available. Because now I want to play it and it won’t be out until Fall 2017. Which probably means the first half of 2018.

-Tom

It probably will be early access in the fall, then you could play yet another early access game @tomchick

That IS a hell of a trailer

Indeed!

LeonardoDicaprio_ butnowyouhavemyattention.jpg

Good stuff.

Thanks. Looks like a game I will definitely want to play.

They Are Billions is a strategic game where you build colonies and armies and manage resources. As with Lords of Xulima, there is no single game as the main inspiration. It shares aspects from the classic RTS like Starcraft, city building and resource management like Anno or Age of Empires games, army management and tactics like war games, and even some tower defense games. Combined, you get a unique playstyle, just like how Lords of Xulima was.

Yes, it is a real-time strategy game, but don’t get too nervous. You can pause the action to make the best strategic and tactical decision. In Pause Mode, you can place structures to build, give orders to your army, or consult all of the game’s information. This game is all about strategy, not player performance or the player’s skill to memorize and quickly execute dozens of key commands. Just pause the game, take all the time you need to decide what to do and then unpause it to watch the show.

They had me at

2018!

Is this the Scythe computer game?

It’s based on the same IP (cool mecha art meets XIX and early XX century pastorals).

Please please please please please be the spiritual successor to Company of Heroes.

Here’s the artist that inspired Scythe (iirc, correct me otherwise please): https://www.redbubble.com/people/simonstalenhag

Edit: My bad, looks like it’s actually this guy, Jakub Rozalski:
https://magazine.artstation.com/2016/11/jakub-rozalski-scythe/

I really like Rozalski’s art, but I feel it’s lost something in the translation to a game - the impact the art has is to see these huge mechs out of context and contrasted with simple pastoral images. It really fires the imagination to fill in the blanks of how these things got where they are. The game takes away that mystery and substitutes what you could be imagining with a generic RTS.

Elaborate please!

Thanks for making me check back on Soldiers: Heroes of WW2. Was I missing out!

I have played and loved the Monte Cristo titles that were released around the same time (mainly 1944: Battle of the Bulge), and while they cover similar ground this game blows them out of the water in terms of sheer amount of freedom and level of detail.

The near-zero hand-holding and the sandboxy nature of many of the missions lead to a lot of emergent situations and memorable moments. I’m already on the British campaign and it’s shaping up to be one of my favorite WW2 games.

I actually own Soldiers on both Steam and GOG for some reason, yet have never played it. I’ll have to fix that.