Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

After Martin Shkreli won the auction for the new Wu Tang Clan album, Bill Gates commissioned one lone copy of Freelancer 3. He plays it periodically, but overall he’s just not much of a fan of space sims.

My soul, it weeps.

If I recall the rumor, the cut scenes from that single copy of Freelancer 3 were leaked and edited together to make the TV series Firefly. ;)

Dammit, Bill said we wouldn’t get to come back and play it again if you mentioned it to Brian!

I hear Derek Smart got the rights for Freelancer 3. Or was it Freespace 3? I can’t remember.

Look, if I can’t have a job making RTSes nobody can, mmk?

Not working on Ashes any longer? Hopefully you have landed somewhere else and things are going okay.

That’s probably a better discussion for this thread, heh.

Wow, that is actually pretty cool. I’ve been pining for another strategy game set in the ancient world, so I suppose a remaster of a game that I played to death back in the day (including the expansion) is as good as anything. I wonder if they’ll incorporate elements from later AoE games, like formations?

The bits of updated art they’ve showcased look fantastic.

They said there would be some gameplay updates, but I don’t know what that will include. Hopefully things like farms not blocking pathfinding and higher pop limit from AoE2. Looking forward to adding it to the collection of games I almost never play :) I wish MS would have taken this approach with the update of AoE2, but I guess maybe they didn’t want to put the resources into it.

One of the updates was the ability to Zoom in and out. :|

Did you ever play Infested Planet? That’s a cracking RTS, one of my favourites alongside OTC.

A couple of things I’ve seen recently:

An Age of Empires type game: http://empiresapart.net/

Being published by Slitherine I believe, which has me a bit wary since quality varies so much on titles they publish. Supposed to be out later this year.

Another is called Vanguard or Immortal. It has been a custom map in the arcade for Starcraft 2 as a r&d project for the team, but they are planning to develop their own game. https://www.sunspeargames.com/ .

RPS interviews Relic designers about how they came up with the destructible cover in CoH, still the greatest RTS design ever.

One wonders why it hasn’t been iterated on by others yet.

Looking back I didn’t enjoy it that much. The SP was clever rather than playable for me. Too hard to select particular units is what I remember.

I remember quitting after realising I had to tell engineers to fix tanks they were stood right next to. I just cannot be doing with that kind of nonsense when I’ve got other things to deal with. It was the same with Homeworld and repair frigates. Do your damn jobs. Look at the medics in Red Alert, they knew what to do without me nannying them. I also remember an indestructible fence stopping me from flanking the enemy on one level. Otherwise, I did enjoy what I played.

I always thought a tweak to the design would be to have engineers build some kind of repair tent which auto-repaired everything in a radius, just like the game does with a medic tent. However, I suppose that perhaps this was left out intentionally to balance armor vs. infantry a bit better.

Men Of War would like to have a word.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hr5dLvGI98