Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

I’m glad you enjoyed it! As games go, Soldiers is in my shortlist of “favorite games ever”. It was a really great surprise too, since I didn’t expect much when I bought it on GOG.

And yes, the best part about it is how emergent it can be. I have some fantastic memories of playing this game because of that. It helps that it works on a more “intimate” scale, something that was somewhat lost in later games in the series. Anyway, it’s a fantastic game I wish more people had played.

Soldiers was also great because it allowed co-op over LAN which was how I spent most of my time with it. Many hilarious moments with my brother and friends as enemy armour came rolling in (or through) usually resulting in one of us pinned down somewhere. Emergent rescue missions were the best! I really ought to return to it at some point. I always preferred the sandbox nature of it over Commandos’ more puzzle like solutions.

Looks like Star Wars Empire at War recieved Multiplayer and mod support on Steam.

Has anyone tried Petroglyph’s Base Blitz on the Oculus? It looks like it is built from their 8-bit rts engine.

Is the galactic campaign multiplayer as well or just the battles?

Looking at the settings for host game, one of the options is campaign between 2 players.

I think this is a good thread for this video. :)

Speaking of RTS, I discovered this over the weekend!

It’s super fun!

Iron Harvest is coming along nicely, looks like a late 2018/early 2019 release.

Man, KingArt is really nailing the look of that game. I just hope it plays better than The Dwarves.

It’s giving me a world in conflict vibe.

And some Company of Heroes. It looks yummy! Me Gusta!

Me too.

Destroyable, deployable cover system? Nice.

Since Slitherine/Matrix are somewhat poor with their marketing I just found out about this game that releases tomorrow.

Supposed to be an RTS in the Age of Empires tradition. I’m quite intrigued. Not sure what the price is going to be yet, but I absolutely love the aesthetic.

I like the aesthetic as well. While I understand this is a RTS in the mold of Age of Empires (sweet!), I read through the feature details on the Steam page and I don’t see anything that sets this apart? I already have Age of Empires, I don’t see the need to buy it again. I hope there’s at least something there to change up the formula.

I hope this is just poor marketing and there’s a little more to it than that!

This part sounds interesting:

Gather resources during the day and withstand hordes of enemies at night in Survival Mode.

My post above sounds way more negative than I intended, sorry about that. My mindset is that I’m optimistically hoping that this is inspired by Age of Empires but with it’s own unique twists, instead of a straight-up clone.

Thanks for bringing up the game here, I would have totally been unaware of it otherwise.

The heroes and relics mechanics sound more unique, at least, so I am encouraged by that. Sounds like maybe AoE 2 splashed with a diluted solution of Warcraft 3, which reads like pure crack cocaine to me.

No worries. :-)

There are so many current games that are trying to re-capture some nostalgia for titles from earlier eras I can sympathize with a level of fatigue there.

I do hope that this one brings enough fresh ideas to the table though.

One thing that annoyed me that people might run into is if you have a rift (I imagine it will do something similar with the vive) it will fire up oculus when you start the game. So if you are like me and have the oculus tray tool which cuts sound over to the headset when it is started, you have to go set the audio back and close the oculus app so the headset isn’t running. I pointed this out multiple times in the beta, and pointed them to a possible solution of disabling some plugins in unreal, but they haven’t fixed it yet.

It is similar to AoE, but different. There are basically 3 ages, but you upgrade separately for econ and military. So base level you start game with, upgrade level 1, and upgrade level 2. There are some hero units, but I didn’t toy much with them and their special abilities.

Due to the annoyance of the oculus thing, I didn’t play nearly as much as I would/should have during the beta.