Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

Yeah, I definitely plan to donate my own self. Game is really great.

I[quote=“lordkosc, post:398, topic:78408, full:true”]

You have to research and actually build houses to meet this requirement. ;)
[/quote]

You do? It doesn’t mention “houses” anywhere, just “homes”. And I swear I fulfilled one of these quests early on when it still said “homes”.

If it is houses, they really need to include that in the text. It’s also kind of ridiculous how early they’re expecting you to get access to houses. Also the trigger for the quest in the first place, considering every single one of the tents and bunkhouses in my colony are at “comfortable” temperature

Only 2 more years away!

You’re probably joking, unless they mentioned that in the 2h+ stream? King Art are pros, so I’d be surprised if they miss releasing next year.

At the beginning of it, the person mentions late 2019 - early 2020. I don’t know what his connection is to the actual development though. His twitch page says he is a CoH player.

Ah, and I do see that they were shooting for December 2019, so slipping into 2020 certainly is possible. 2 more years it is then! I think they (King Art), just brought him to stream the alpha. I jumped to the end and they brought around the devs.

Oh, this looks like a worthy sequel to Silent Storm.

The view is all wrong for this game. It needs to be level with the ground so you can see the sky/horizon to appreciate the scale of the large units. Right now when you look at gameplay it’s just another RTS, difference being it has slightly large, walking tin cans.

The current gameplay and views do not do the source materiel justice.

So Empires Apart went free-to-play today:

Yay?

Bah!

Though, honestly, I uninstalled the game after a few hours with the hopes of them adding some decent single-player content at some point down the line. This has killed my interest in the game entirely.

Was this the AoE 2 killer that never was?
I was watching a pretty good Web Series on RTS games.

Anyway, he made an interest point. You can have Factional Symmetry (like Age of Empires 1 and 2, Dune 2) have) or not (Starcraft, Warcraft, Command and Conquer) but without Factional Symmetry, using a lot of different factions ends in disaster, due to balance and the inability to switch from one faction to another without a steep learning curve.

Balance isn’t as important in AoE 2, because you aren’t penalized as much for switching factions on the fly depending on the maps. You don’t have to relearn everything under the sun to play as Italians on a water map, or Malay on a lake map.

So, once you have a lot of different unique factions, balance becomes hard, and players aren’t going to be equally versed in all the factions, meaning players can’t easily switch from one to the other. So, if two or there factions are good on water, and you don’t know those factions, you are in trouble, unlike AoE 2.

I think a game like Age of Mythology can work though. 3-4 distinct factions (not too many to learn) and then allow for smaller sub factions to balance out the difference, so that you have a few sub factions that are good on every map.

Empires Apart probably isn’t even worth it as free 2 play.

Another game that just went into Early Access is:

You can build a t-rex at the stables.

AoE2 does have some variation though even though for the most part they are symmetrical, especially when compared to things like Starcraft and Warcraft.

Sure, but everyone has mostly the same toys in the toy box, just different bonuses for those toys.

It’s not as hard to learn a new nation in AoE 2 as it is in SC or WC.

I feel like a broken record when it comes to new RTS games, but what does this RTS add that I haven’t already done thousands upon thousands of times since the 90s? The setting is cool but I didn’t see anything on their Steam page that made me think “Oh, that’s something new”.

In other words, any idea why I would want to put down money on this rather than just play one of the many classic RTS games that I already own? That’s an open question for anyone who knows anything about the game!

From what I can tell, nothing.

Good to see they did their homework. (And by homework I mean they obviously spent a lot of time watching 1981’s Caveman.)

Is it some KKND knock off? Sounds silly.

Mmm looking very RTS-y

After reading this post from Rich Geldreich (ex-ensemble programmer that also worked on the AoE:DE product) on the aoe heavengames forum, I’m wondering if the AoE2:DE is even still happening or who is working on it. I guess it makes more sense now as to why MS wasn’t very forthcoming about who would be doing the other DE titles, while they did name Relic as working on AoE4.

http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=1&tn=6734&st=9#post10