Real-Time Strategy all purpose discussion thread

Looking at this makes me sad I don’t really get AoE2 and nowadays I’m too capricious to learn it. My favorite Rise of Nations has very few recorded games and it was a joy to see Tom Chick and McMaster - two unprofessional players - to play and learn the game. The only few “pro” games you can find on youtube are from Gentlemen Generals channel and commentary there is superflous and obnoxious.

Maybe I have to finally get into that Company of Heroes 2 to get my RTS kick.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much out there. It is a shame the community hasn’t thrived as much as the AoE. I did recently find:

but I haven’t had time to watch any of their videos yet to see if they are worthwhile.

From several minutes I’ve watched he looks like a good player but there’s little commentary. Some things he’s doing take some time to settle in, e.g. he scans fog of war area with trying to build a lookout there and it’s an exploit: if it turns red then there’s something there - ruins or resources. So he’s probably way over an average player head to be easy to watch.

Maybe it’s one of the reasons something like StarCraft 2 is popular to watch - once you know units there isn’t really much that will look strange to you.

Because all of you are waiting for it, the final game of the very first round.

So for some reason I’m replaying Dragonshard. It still holds up as a great RTS.

Also, some missions are surprisingly difficult? Maybe I’m just rusty. It’s quite micro-intensive after all.

I should pick that up from gog at some point. I’ve never played it. I didn’t realize it was made by Liquid Entertainment. Anyone ever play The Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring? I played their first game Battle Realms when it was released in 2001. Considering what the EA LOTR games go for on amazon, compared to War of the Rings, I’m guessing it must not have been very good.

Never heard of it. There’s an informative video on YouTube:

Second round. I am still watching.

I’m surprised he doesn’t have more of them up on YouTube yet. He has them separate series clipped in twitch, but I guess maybe there isn’t a mechanism for moving that over to yt, so he has to break it up himself and upload.

Been fiddling around with Company of Heroes 2.

Just can’t get the U.S. to work. They don’t have the early game edge of the Soviets, or the late game edge of the German factions, and their unit upgrades are awkward.

The US relies heavily on the tremendously versatile and powerful riflemen as well as AT guns in the early game, and Jacksons in the supreme late game. Halftracks, Stuarts, Shermans and doctrinal units cover the time in between on an as-needed basis.

Longest set of matches yet.

@legowarrior do you watch any of memb’s streams? He had an interesting show match event yesterday with Suomi, Secret, and AM. They used set positions (by player color) so they could pre-determine who play pocket vs. flank, and they nerfed slinging so it is impossible to sling until imp. He has the first game up on youtube, and I imagine the others will follow throughout the week.

two more sets.

One more game in the quarter finals. The top four should be very interesting in the semi finals.

I think he posted it @vyshka

It looks like the Suomi - Secret series is up, but he still has to upload the AM - Suomi, and AM - Secret series. Reading on aoezone, the players really liked the changes.

Anyone played AoE Definitive Edition recently. They seem to have done a lot of work on the ai. At least it is no longer completely brain dead.

Act of Aggression Reboot Edition is $7.50 on greenmangaming at the moment. Anyone have an opinion on it?

It’s a mediocre RTS that plays like Act of War or C&C Generals with some gameplay elements from Wargame added in. The Reboot part is from a controversial series of core gameplay changes implemented based on fan feedback that resulted in two separate versions of the game (you should get both in one code) featuring different resource gathering and general game pacing.

It’s very mediocre but that’s a reasonable price point if you’re curious.